boarding out a garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty3968

Hi
My mate wants his garage boarded out and skimmed..which im going to do.
I havnt looked at the job yet but if i remember rightly its only single brick..he wanted it dot n dabbed but im not sure incase of damp etc..
Ive done a double skinned garage before( brick and thermolite block) but not a single brick so i need a bit of advice on what to do
cheers
scotty

Batten, insulate, foil back boards,,,,,,,,sorted

Then a 4 arm smash of the ropes just for the hell of it in true scotty2hotty style

i take it its got a damp proof membrane? if so just dot and dab it and keep the boards off the floor as norm

For some reason the U value goes up if you leave an air gap. That's what Kingspan told us on the phone.

Wall%20Solid%20Masonry%20Internal_l.jpg

the air gap as well as the vapour control layer stops water vapour going through the plasterboard and onto the cold brick. If this happens it can condense and you can see puddles of water on the floor.

I usually batton then kingspan straight over the top leaving the air gap between the kingspan and the wall then board straight over the top and ive never had any problems just use longer screws.

Twitcher are you talking about a vapour barrier direct to the wall before battens?

I stick the kingspan or whatever to the wall, batten over the insulation with 2 x 1's then stick a vapour barrier on the battens, then board over that

that's what the manufacturers specify spunk, look at their pdfs

it makes sense to have a proper vapour barrier or even a breathable one. I don't reckon the foil surface on either the insulation or the board would be enough. A lot of them are still permeable.

have you come across air tightness testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.