Boarding a wall with minimal cavity?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

gilo17

I want to plasterboard a wall in my bedroom but I dont want to loose to much if any in the cavity can I just screw and plug the board into place I dont fancy extending door frames etc? Thanks for looking!

I want to board a wall that is badly cracked but not falling away it has 2 doors on the wall so i want to keep the board as close as possible....

I want to board a wall that is badly cracked but not falling away it has 2 doors on the wall so i want to keep the board as close as possible....

may be better to treat the cracking with some neat pva before hand, reskimming it might be easier as you'd probably have to take the skirting board off (assuming there is one) and wouldn't be flush with your architrave around your doors (assuming there is any)

in any case if your attaching a new board use powdered bonding compound and spread a tnin coat over the whole back of the board, this is assuming the wall is sound.

I would like to re skim but im sure the cracks would come through, thanks for your help you have been very helpful.

I would like to re skim but im sure the cracks would come through, thanks for your help you have been very helpful.
PVA as Ray suggested and when dry fibatape over the cracks before skimming over :RpS_thumbup:

Is the wall brickwork? Im guessing it is how u said about using plugs , best way would be hack it off and reboard , strip architrave , board into frame , skim and apply architrave and skirting . Jobs a gudin .

So the idea is to add plasterboard directly on the wall without a structure to hold the boards?

Hmm, i ilve in Europe, and we have a completely flat glasfiber which you just glue on the wall like galsspaper, well not exactly, you add the glue on the wall, than stick the fiberglaspaper on the wall.

Specifically made for old crackled walls.

Directly pain tover the paper.

Very often used on old houses which keep on cracking.

If the wall is really that bad, i would still add a structure to hold the boards, even if it is only 3/8 of half an inch thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.