board props

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never done much boarding have a house to slab and skim with 300 boards might give it try instead of subbing it out.

just thinkin on, and i never thought of this before, but why not use a couple of bits of old skirting or mdf sheet or something, fire em in and slot the board in.. just as good?

innit ;D .........you can tell its made by the same people who made the bricky!.....nice to see you back merlin ;)

bigsegs said:
just thinkin on, and i never thought of this before, but why not use a couple of bits of old skirting or mdf sheet or something, fire em in and slot the board in.. just as good?
dont mention skirting im getting the noose ready!

just use old wall straps lying round, do same job!, been on fishin hols spunky, southern india loooooovely!

you fooker! what were you catching mate ..........apart from listeria ;D

mahseer apparently , been twice now not caught one above 15lbs ???wot a place tho ,knocks the f**k out o this country!

I can use 6'3 on own no lifter also no problem! But why struggle ?
I could never convience my dad either ,untill he used my machine and now he loves it and borrows it all the time.
Struggling with board on ur head.hammering in gally nails (those days have gone )
Lifting and screwin is the quickest and safest cost effective way.
Next time im using lifter ill take some photos so u guys can see it in action.
A picture tells a thousand words.

were you roughin it mate or did you have youre own luxury apartment for 3 pound per week ?.....how did you get on with the food?...........did you have a guide? .........i bet it was beutifull ................apart from a few clouds and the lake district ......yup this place is shite ;D

classic journey m8 , 600ks of blagging trains from goa to bangalore, black cab through villages to camp, kipped in army tents, tap for washing, fresh chickens for diner every day on bbq, fresh veg, fresh fruit,guides were tops ,fishin was tops although caught no big uns. me missus cant understand why we went! :-\

proper job!! .....did the chickens still run around when you cut there heads off? ....on a serious note though im dead jealous i can feel the ambience .......fair play ;)

skimmin2day said:
Every plaster does boarding,every ceiling needs boarding,of course yull do boarding.
You now have 2 options pay for a helper £50 min a day or do it on your own with a lifter (easily).
I work on my own 75% of the time and do ceilings all the time with my lifter,lift the board up screw em in and the next one please.
I can board and skim a 5x4 room on my own in a day with out breaking a sweat or injuring my self.
Or i could hire a labour board and skim a room in a day and be £50 worse of (minimum)

IMHO I feel that every spread needs a labourer anyway I have a guy on at the moment who works on his own and he does 3 sets a day and its taken him 8 days to skim out a flat I have a labourer and have done the same flat in 3.5 days and I have preped up the next one.... all this you save yourself £50 is rubbish my boy is working hard all day cleaning, loading out, beading and cleaning out the next flat to get it readyfor skim etc.

I have seen it time and time again spreads trying to save £50 a day, its just not worth it and you'll feel it later in life.

Make life easy for yourself lads get yourself a labourer

Rich

Do you pay him legit on the books paying his N/I and his tax on a contract ???? (i dont think so ), becuse minimum wage payment alone with the tax etc you would pay would actually cost you £75 a day or £375 a week .
This is why i struggle on my own. Not to mention the form filling and paper work the risk assessments the extra liability insurance costs blah blah blah.
Dont get me wrong its not all about the money for me i could have someone work with me full time and pay him but im not sure i would have enough work of a size big enough to keep the 2 of us working all the time.
Example....skim a kitchen ceiling £100 job 3-4 hours work with travel...aint really gonna do another job after this.So id make £25 before tax and paying labourer minus materials.
Some days you get little jobs like this.

same as you skimmin2day, when i get bigger jobs in i get another spread to come in and he does the same for me. also, i'm a miserable old fecker, and watching a snot nose playing with his phone and looking at me like i'm a c**t when i ask him to sweep up make me violent! ;D

same here, just cant afford to pay em unless its a huge job..
ill do a room a day comfortably so its no big deal really..
last time i used anyone for any length of time i did find my back was easier, as i taught the lad to flatten off, then trowel up and finally lay on...
we cleaned up together, gives me a break from waving my hands at the wall..
had to pay him cash though..

I only have subbies and pay them day rate £125 per spread £50 per labourer unless they are on price then price is price.

as a contractor I get paid gross when I invoice.

Rich

I use Board Mate all the time their a good little gadjet, done a MF ceiling yesterday in a bedroom and boarded it on my own just had time to get first coat tape and joint on when i gets their this, morning yes i worked today, the client is looking at it and says to me well i suppose the paint will cover it i didnt bother to explain that it gets another 2 coats and then sanded down i dont think he would have understood.
Lucius

lucius said:
I use Board Mate all the time their a good little gadjet, done a MF ceiling yesterday in a bedroom and boarded it on my own just had time to get first coat tape and joint on when i gets their this, morning yes i worked today, the client is looking at it and says to me well i suppose the paint will cover it i didnt bother to explain that it gets another 2 coats and then sanded down i dont think he would have understood.
Lucius
nah mate, you should have stood there on good friday and explained suction, shrinkage, the fact that you havent used finish plaster for just that reason and just basically given him a crash course in plastering, given him the trowel and gone off and topped yourself in appology ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.