board finish!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

richspread87

Hi all. I am a plasterer of 12 years experience and learnt to spread using board finish and it was lovely.

Moving direction from major new build to renovation, extension and private new build, I went to multi finish as you can use it for anything . Again lovely to use on any surface including board.

I've now gone back to a new build contractor and have to use board finish. Christ it's changed a bit.

I find the first coat goes of dead quick on me. 2nd coat seems to hang.

Add any water and it turns fatty.

Once ready for final trowel and cross trowel, I find the finish is nothing compared to multi. Struggle and mostly fail to achieve my usual bowling green affect finish

Clean tools and water.
No over mixing.
My laborer mixes no more than a bag a time to reduce sitting time.

First coat of up to 3 mixes.
Flatten.
Tidy second coat.
Flatten.
Trowel.
Wet trowel.
Cross trowel.

What am I missing with the board finish these days?

Any plasterers found the same difference between multi and board?

Cheers

Hi all. I am a plasterer of 12 years experience and learnt to spread using board finish and it was lovely.

Moving direction from major new build to renovation, extension and private new build, I went to multi finish as you can use it for anything . Again lovely to use on any surface including board.

I've now gone back to a new build contractor and have to use board finish. Christ it's changed a bit.

I find the first coat goes of dead quick on me. 2nd coat seems to hang.

Add any water and it turns fatty.

Once ready for final trowel and cross trowel, I find the finish is nothing compared to multi. Struggle and mostly fail to achieve my usual bowling green affect finish

Clean tools and water.
No over mixing.
My laborer mixes no more than a bag a time to reduce sitting time.

First coat of up to 3 mixes.
Flatten.
Tidy second coat.
Flatten.
Trowel.
Wet trowel.
Cross trowel.

What am I missing with the board finish these days?

Any plasterers found the same difference between multi and board?

Cheers
I personally prefer board finish but rarely get to use it as my employer supplies multi. For me I found that board finish will take a bit longer to start going off but once it does start it goes quickly. But I never use water on it. Just lick the trowel with a brush otherwise you get a dirty finish

I'll have to give that a go then plasdua.

I've been giving it a good drink at times to see if it helps the finish but it's not really. Just made it even mor fatty.

Have also found that finish seems to be quite grainy right up until the point I give it very last dry cross trowel so that's a good point.

do you flatten the first coat or just lay straight on with the 2nd coat? I tend to give first coat a quick wipe over before laying but have read a lot of people don't bother?

I'll have to give that a go then plasdua.

I've been giving it a good drink at times to see if it helps the finish but it's not really. Just made it even mor fatty.

Have also found that finish seems to be quite grainy right up until the point I give it very last dry cross trowel so that's a good point.

do you flatten the first coat or just lay straight on with the 2nd coat? I tend to give first coat a quick wipe over before laying but have read a lot of people don't bother?
Sorry mate didn't see this reply. I do give my first coat a quick lay down, not too fussy about it then bang the second one on it comes out pukka.

Status
Not open for further replies.