Board finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowland gatward

Anyone got any tips on using board finish? I've mainly used multi in the past and am struggling to get as good finish using board finish. It's tending to go kind of greasy. Is it supposed to be slower or faster set than multi? Any advice appreciated

It's a bit quiker mate. Multi leaves a superior finish imo...however, boardy is better for when you have to put it on a bit heavier...

...by the way, plaster is plaster, just lay it on, tighten it in, give it two trowels then hit it with the plastic...

what does it do then

what a spounge? it allows you to spray a fine mist of water on the finish then rub it up with a spounge and it bringes all the fats to the surface. spatular that of and its like adding another coat over the top and trowels up lovely :)

surely its easier to put another coat on rather than throwing water at it and rubbing a sponge all over it

1 coat less gear to mix up less water to get and less bags to load out then youre saving the time of laying on the second coat

no i meant whys one coat rougher than 2 coat?

It just is, was always taught to do 2 coat, so never experimented any other way untill we started site work at 2 squid a meter. That don't look good.

I've always 2 coated multi then sponged after flattening of the 2 coat. I was told board was designed to be one coat. Is this not the case? On the bag it states 2mm thick coverage and don't say anything about 2 coating like it does on multi

Ok do u care to explain for us then? Don't understand the hostility here!

How if I have always used a two coat system am I meant to know any different?

Talk about trying bashing a new comer to the site. What's that all about?

Nah your not being bashed.... thats just spunky :)

I always 2 coat finish and board finish... I dont use a sponge.... never been shown how to do it properly and the times I have seen it being used its been rough as hell finish...

Danny :)

alright **** me dont cry ...........just wondered why YOU said one coat was a rubbish finish and youve just admitted you dont know because you never tried it....... but it is apparently.............

ive seen one bloke on site not me one coating and his was ******* first class ive seen loads of lads 2 coating and they turn up with their crappy little bandq whisk and 5 gorilla tubs and they are ******* s**t

Sorry was a bit ratty last night.

Right let me explain I have alway done 2 coat work with multi finish it just what I was taught to do. However about 5 years ago my old man got hold of some sponge floats and said we used to use these on the old finishes when I was a lad.

So he tried it on multi just after the second coat started to tighten up and the finish was excellent.

So we all started to do that and have been for years.

Now as a company we have always worked for ourselves but since Christmas things have tightened up so we have been doing contractor work at 2 squid a meter! Now I thought **** u can't make it pay so ask other here if they where one coating and they said yes so I gave that ago on a 2 bed house.

Using board finish I was coating the skrim first then going over with a slightly fatter coat then normal. Spatular it of then spraying with water and rubbing up with a fine coarse sponge and the spatularing straight back off.

Have to admit that the finish was not to bad and did save alot of time. However it was not as perfect as when 2 coats where applied and then sponged.

I do know it looked a hell of a lot better then in some of the other unit where the guys were one coating without sponges.

As stated in another thread we got a shite price for that I mean 60'quid take home a day so have decided not to do that anymore and concentrate on doing what i would call proper plastering at a fair price.

Spunky we don't throw water at it we use one off them insecticide spray bottles or even on of those big fence soreness to cover the ceiling in water then just rub it in a uniform pattern.

Sponge in general is do wether it one or two coat coz it cleans all the edges up nice and all fills and imperfections.

I fully believe that a one coat system could be found that will leave a top quality finish with time and practice. We were very surprised with some of the quality it was producing.

It's also nice because the whole hit darkens of at the same rate

I dont find board any different to multi with regards to finish, you kind of just adapt to how its going off like you would if the back ground was different.

Spunky we don't throw water at it we use one off them insecticide spray bottles or even on of those big fence soreness to cover the ceiling in water then just rub it in a uniform pattern.

Sponge in general is do wether it one or two coat coz it cleans all the edges up nice and all fills and imperfections.

I fully believe that a one coat system could be found that will leave a top quality finish with time and practice. We were very surprised with some of the quality it was producing.

It's also nice because the whole hit darkens of at the same rate
They have its called one coat plaster and thats what you should realy be using your sponge float on. I suppose the moral of the story is dont by a house built in 2011.

rock what didnt you like about it mate?

i found it harder wokl than 2 coating and saved no time on a decent hit. yes cupboards and what have you i agree but if you have a nice flat 1st coat going off nicely and nice slick over with a 2nd coat pulls in fast as the heat from 1 st coat sets it off.

now if i worked with someone who blew me away 1 coating and sponging id sharp be copying i would like to see someone do it mind as im not saying you cant do it as i know you are

Rock sorry I disagree mate I've found you get more time with the second coat because the first coat takes most of the suction
Currier you're going round in circles and tbh you haven't got a ******* clue
Bod I hope you had a good days feeshing
Luscious can you tell us all the difference that is sponging one coat plasters and multi finish

Status
Not open for further replies.