blue grit on porous surfaces

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattyp

Hi guys could do with some wise advice if anyone can help me out.

I have just started a job for a client , they have stripped the wallpaper from the walls of the bedroom ready for me to plaster.
There is a lot of loose plaster on the walls so I have removed all of this on every wall leaving which looks like sand and cement on brickwork.
I stabilised it today as it is really dusty using febond stabilising solution.
I then added febond blue grit this afternoon which dried really quickly.
I was putting beads up so I tried a small patch of multi finish on the wall the which went hard really quickly.
What shall I do tomorrow? Try pva before I start skimming? walls still seem porous :-(

Test it tomorrow with water splash ,that should tell you whether you need to do something or not, I wouldn't of stabilised it myself I would of primed it with 5/1 pva but we all do different ways to achieve same thing

blue grit is not meant for porous surfaces probably why it's not working, also if there's any dust behind it it's going to peel off, probably should have used plain old pva.

Ok Ray i have used blue grit before.
Does say on the back of tub can be used for porous surfaces on concrete plaster etc...
I did think that it cant be meant for porous surfaces as i use it for painted surfaces where suction is minimal

give it a good old going over with a brush check for loose bits, then you probably could give it a coat of pva and a skim. the blue grit is really for giving a key, you can use it on some porous blocks but usually go over with bonding, not so sure about skimming straight on porous surface after using blue grit. bit of a hassle I imagine.

no used stabilizing solution then when that dried I added the blue grit straight from the tub.
didn't dilute it as not meant to

everyone will disagree with me but this is what I would do...

a realy good 50/50 pva coat (if using sumet like wickes/merchants own pva as quite watery to start with!) lash it on that much that it stays white for a little while before it pulls in...

let totally dry...

mix 1st coat with a few handfuls of bonding will 1 help nip up the loose gear and 2 hangs more less chance of crazing/control the suction...

don't be shy with your depths the more depth the more hang...

ignore this fairytale 1mm coat...followed by another 1mm coat....what a load of bolllllox!

good luck out there!!!

Pva for suction control, blue grit,wba etc to provide a key. I would of only used Pva for the job you have described. Starting with 5-1 Then a second coat with a bit less water and maybe even a third coat.
Experience will tell you when you have controlled the suction enough. Some bonding in the first coat of finish helps.

Hi guys could do with some wise advice if anyone can help me out.

I have just started a job for a client , they have stripped the wallpaper from the walls of the bedroom ready for me to plaster.
There is a lot of loose plaster on the walls so I have removed all of this on every wall leaving which looks like sand and cement on brickwork.
I stabilised it today as it is really dusty using febond stabilising solution.
I then added febond blue grit this afternoon which dried really quickly.
I was putting beads up so I tried a small patch of multi finish on the wall the which went hard really quickly.
What shall I do tomorrow? Try pva before I start skimming? walls still seem porous :-(
Done this loads of times with blue grit ,it needs 24 hrs for a reason , splash a little water on the wall and watch it run down and not soak it, I do slap the blue grit on tho,I'm not shy with it

Just splap a coat of pva when you get there first thing set all ya gear up av a pot of tea go get a bacon,egg,sausage,black pudding sarnie get back read paper then off ya go bish bash bosh!! Thank you please come again!!:RpS_lol::RpS_thumbsup:

You were right to put stabizing solution first as its better over dusty surfaces than PVa
but the best one to use is artex stabilex that would of held the suction back really good when blue grit was skimmed on
I had a painter prep some walls for me once with sbr and a grit on old dusty render he put grit first then sbr and not a good coat either, he didn't tell me till after I tried skimming it and it dried in minutes so had to scrape off and I gave it a good PVa then skimmed

Status
Not open for further replies.