Blown rendering

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

lozzer345

Hi, first, I am not a plasterer.

Ok a guy I know was doing some home maintainance and he noticed that some of the old rendering was coming loose, he tapped out all the loose stuff which revealed what appears to be the scratch coat of the original render, the house might be brick or block, I am not sure which.
He got someone to do the job the other day, the weather was dry, sunny and about 20 degrees c, the guy painted PVA on the wall then put a coat of render on (it sounds as though he used cement render using mastercrete) and left it a couple of hours then put a top coat on (looks like cement render again) after he did that the guy left and the owner went out for a few hours, the following day the owner went to look at the work and noticed there were cracks everywhere, I have seen pictures but unfortunately I can't post them here but suffice to say the cracking is bad typically 2mm cracks in all directions.
So the question I am asking on the owners behalf is what was the most likely cause of the cracking and which method and matrials is the best for replacing blown render. The original wall finish looks like textiured/nobbly etc, pebble dash ? (not sure)

Thanks.

Lozzer.

Probably one of these things, it dried too fast, the mix was too strong, the finish is possibly a wet dash from what you say.
best way to fix is hack off to brickwork, paint on a coat of sbr mixed with water at 2/1 next day scratch with a mix of sand cement ratio 5/1 with waterproofer, leave for a week but cover and keep,it damp, five day later add second coat mixed at 6/1/1 sand cement and lime, this is a render finish but if its dash then you need to give more info ,picture etc.

Hi, first, I am not a plasterer.

Ok a guy I know was doing some home maintainance and he noticed that some of the old rendering was coming loose, he tapped out all the loose stuff which revealed what appears to be the scratch coat of the original render, the house might be brick or block, I am not sure which.
He got someone to do the job the other day, the weather was dry, sunny and about 20 degrees c, the guy painted PVA on the wall then put a coat of render on (it sounds as though he used cement render using mastercrete) and left it a couple of hours then put a top coat on (looks like cement render again) after he did that the guy left and the owner went out for a few hours, the following day the owner went to look at the work and noticed there were cracks everywhere, I have seen pictures but unfortunately I can't post them here but suffice to say the cracking is bad typically 2mm cracks in all directions.
So the question I am asking on the owners behalf is what was the most likely cause of the cracking and which method and matrials is the best for replacing blown render. The original wall finish looks like textiured/nobbly etc, pebble dash ? (not sure)

Thanks.

Lozzer.

Hi Again Lozzer,

Why do you want to know what methods & materials are best to use is it your job really? :rolleyes)

Best thing to do Lozzer is tell the person to get a plasterer who knows what they are doing & they will know what materials to use & the correct way of doing it :RpS_wink:

Hi Again Lozzer,

Why do you want to know what methods & materials are best to use is it your job really? :rolleyes)

Best thing to do Lozzer is tell the person to get a plasterer who knows what they are doing & they will know what materials to use & the correct way of doing it :RpS_wink:

No, it is not my job at all far from it, the idea of knowing which is the best method and materials to use (via this forum) is so he will have an idea what materials/spec. etc to look out for in any decent plasterers quotes, in a nutshell the guy concerned has been dealt a bum deal through no fault of his own by some cowboy so any help would be appreciated as to methods/materials etc.

Lozzer.

No, it is not my job at all far from it, the idea of knowing which is the best method and materials to use (via this forum) is so he will have an idea what materials/spec. etc to look out for in any decent plasterers quotes, in a nutshell the guy concerned has been dealt a bum deal through no fault of his own by some cowboy so any help would be appreciated as to methods/materials etc.

Lozzer.
Just because the job failed does not make the plasterer a cowboy, as john said it could of gone wrong for a number of reasons listed and even more ,the sand could of been incorrect !! ask the plasterer what he thinks and ask him to re-do the work !!, if he refuses then you can complain , ffs give the guys a chance .......

Reactions: gjp
If the sand was incorrect then maybe he was a bad plasterer....anyway the said plaster has now moved on, I think words might have been exchanged, the owner still wants the job doing and as I was already a member of this forum I thought it a good idea to ask which method/materials was the best to use. Once again this is not my job in any way shape or form but looking for some answers for best methods/ materials etc to repair a blown rendered section of the wall.

Lozzer.

Hack off the loose again and redo it but use a weaker mix and maybe wet the background.

Ok but what mix etc, sand, cement, lime? PVA? SRB? EML? these are the things the guy in question needs to know so that he will at least have an idea as to what's what when he gets another plasterer in to do the job.

johniosaif is the only one so far that has given advice as regards to method and materials

Lozzer.

Ok but what mix etc, sand, cement, lime? PVA? SRB? EML? these are the things the guy in question needs to know so that he will at least have an idea as to what's what when he gets another plasterer in to do the job.

johniosaif is the only one so far that has given advice as regards to method and materials

Lozzer.

there you go then :)

Lozzer.

You can bet that asif got that information from someone else or just cut and pasted it.............:RpS_thumbup:

Hey Lozzer there is a search function at the top of the page there's mountains of info on this forum & also on this subject, I'm sure you will find everything you......err I mean your friend will need to tell the next plasterer :)

Oh by the way your not Marshall in disguise are you Lozzer?
You both do/did carpentry & both do long posts. :RpS_unsure:

Where is the job by the way?

Here's a link mate >>>>http://www.plasterersforum.com/general-rendering-discussions/48281-patching-render.html

^^
Hang on it wasn't Marshall that did the job was it :-0

Hey Lozzer there is a search function at the top of the page there's mountains of info on this forum & also on this subject, I'm sure you will find everything you......err I mean your friend will need to tell the next plasterer :)

Oh by the way your not Marshall in disguise are you Lozzer?
You both do/did carpentry & both do long posts. :RpS_unsure:

Where is the job by the way?

Here's a link mate >>>>http://www.plasterersforum.com/general-rendering-discussions/48281-patching-render.html

^^
Hang on it wasn't Marshall that did the job was it :-0

No friend, there's only one Lozzer, what yer see is what yer get, I live in Cornwall, the house in question is up in the Midlands. I have no idea who the bloke was who did the rendering that cracked like crazy paving, I spent many years working on building/construction sites both in the UK and Germany as a chippy, I have never done rendering for anyone, but I did a small internal cement render job on the last place we were in, it was on an internal concrete block wall, rightly or wrongly I wetted the blocks, laid up a 4 to 1 scratch coat and left it for a few days then wetted the scratch coat and laid up a top coat at 5 to 1, used a fiberglass float to get it something like then after an hour went over it with a fine damp sponge, not a dead flat finish but it suited the old house we were doing up, looked fine with a few coats of thick paint on it, that was about my limit, never tried the pink stuff, probably end up with more on my head than anywhere.
The guy who's house it is is not up to speed on rendering stuff, hence my original post.

Lozzer.

No friend, there's only one Lozzer, what yer see is what yer get, I live in Cornwall, the house in question is up in the Midlands. I have no idea who the bloke was who did the rendering that cracked like crazy paving, I spent many years working on building/construction sites both in the UK and Germany as a chippy, I have never done rendering for anyone, but I did a small internal cement render job on the last place we were in, it was on an internal concrete block wall, rightly or wrongly I wetted the blocks, laid up a 4 to 1 scratch coat and left it for a few days then wetted the scratch coat and laid up a top coat at 5 to 1, used a fiberglass float to get it something like then after an hour went over it with a fine damp sponge, not a dead flat finish but it suited the old house we were doing up, looked fine with a few coats of thick paint on it, that was about my limit, never tried the pink stuff, probably end up with more on my head than anywhere.The guy who's house it is is not up to speed on rendering stuff, hence my original post.Lozzer.
Where about in the midlands is it Lozzer?

Worsctershire, don't want to be any more precise than that, I have never been to the house, so far as I can gather the house owner and the bloke who did the job have parted company, don't want to get into a slanging match or anything, just professional advice as to what the procedure/materials is for patching up a section of blown render, I can then post that on to the house owner so he will have an idea as to what to expect, I have worked with and known many good plasterers when I worked on site and I know the vast majority of them are first class hard grafters.

Lozzer.

Worsctershire, don't want to be any more precise than that, I have never been to the house, so far as I can gather the house owner and the bloke who did the job have parted company, don't want to get into a slanging match or anything, just professional advice as to what the procedure/materials is for patching up a section of blown render, I can then post that on to the house owner so he will have an idea as to what to expect, I have worked with and known many good plasterers when I worked on site and I know the vast majority of them are first class hard grafters.Lozzer.

It's ok mate i was just wondering if he was closer to me I could've popped round & had a look for him.

Worsctershire, don't want to be any more precise than that, I have never been to the house, so far as I can gather the house owner and the bloke who did the job have parted company, don't want to get into a slanging match or anything, just professional advice as to what the procedure/materials is for patching up a section of blown render, I can then post that on to the house owner so he will have an idea as to what to expect, I have worked with and known many good plasterers when I worked on site and I know the vast majority of them are first class hard grafters.

Lozzer.

Phew. Me and lee are safe

Status
Not open for further replies.