Blown Render

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright lads,

Posted a thread a week or so back about blown Weber Mono on a sand & cement scratch coat. Just been to have a good look at it and its the scratch coat thats come away from the blockwork underneath - the mono is stuck to it like sh1t to a blanket.

Any ideas why the scratch coat might have blown ? Ive never had it happen before.

I hacked off all the old render back to the blocks, EML'd where different substrates met, hosed it all down and applied a 4:1 mix with waterprooofer.

In places I had to lay it on really thick as the blocks were all over the place - could that be a factor in why its blown ?

Im going back to rectify it next week and was planning to start again from scratch, but rather than lay it on thick in one coat, I was going to build the scratch coat up in 3 or four passes, leaving a day in between each to make sure it pulls in ??

it might of been better with rendaid with mesh embeded then hpx krend mate it was a really poor back gound with potential lot of movement

This guy has rendered over sand and cement with weber which is pretty stupid at the best of times
Then another comes along and tells him to use weber rend aid with the magical mesh in it followed by a base coat made by krend
Then richard will be along in a minute to ask why these through coat renders dont look very good after a year or two
No offence meant but if you dont know what your doing dont (french word)ing take the job on ! ::)
warnwarn.gif

being abusive to others

I get lots of work and calls about fixing this sort of stuff, If i said i was a brain surgeon would you let me operate on your head ,you know the craic spongebob,its peanuts and monkeys.

With respect guys, what is so stupid about putting Weber over S&C - Ive seen it done loads of times before with no bad results - The mono has stuck like sh1t to a blanket to the scratch coat, its the scratch coat that has failed.

so you can only use rendaid with weber products i was told you could krend over this as it sets solid like a scratch coat

Madmonk Why would you wont to base coat over rendaid ?
Richard i love you and im sorry :p
pristine stick to 1 type of render and dont mix the systems ,try ringing weber and tell them you have rendered over s/c and see what they say ::)

Spongebob, I did exactly that and as expected they asked why I had applied mono over S&C - I guess to cover their arses.

The only reason I did a S&C scratch was because the blockwork was so out of sorts I wanted to get it somewhere handy before applying a top coat.

What should I have done ? Used rendaid instead ?

Cheers

pristineplastering said:
Spongebob, I did exactly that and as expected they asked why I had applied mono over S&C - I guess to cover their arses.

The only reason I did a S&C scratch was because the blockwork was so out of sorts I wanted to get it somewhere handy before applying a top coat.

What should I have done ? Used rendaid instead ?

Cheers
Yes rendaid is the scratch coat for weber

Just a thought lads, the garage door was a bit sticky and had to be slammed shut .

I dont suppose that the slamming of the garage door and the 'green' scratch coat could have contributed to the scratch coat blowing ?? The couple were always in and out of the garage whilst I was working

Whaddya think ?

90% of scratch coat failures on breeze blocks are caused by suction control.
Soak blocks first then scud them, scratch following day (wet scudding first0
JOB DONE ;)

Scud = to rub your nob over the walls to cover them in sticky cheese.

No chance that the garage door is to blame for the poor quality of your backing coat but tell them that is why is failed so you dont have to pay for it yourself :)

richardbrown said:
Scud = to rub your nob over the walls to cover them in sticky cheese.

No chance that the garage door is to blame for the poor quality of your backing coat but tell them that is why is failed so you dont have to pay for it yourself :)

hahahahaha :D :D :D

pristineplastering said:
Im clutching at straws arent I

My nob? straw? :mad:

throw a slurry coat of approx 3:1 s +c with SBR at the damp wall as u would if
u dashed it. Kills suction and creates a key. I want kisses ;D

irish_spread said:
pristineplastering said:
Im clutching at straws arent I

My nob? straw? :mad:

throw a slurry coat of approx 3:1 s +c with SBR at the damp wall as u would if
u dashed it. Kills suction and creates a key. I want kisses ;D