Bloody board finish

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

richspread87

Hi all. I am a plasterer of 12 years experience and learnt to spread using board finish and it was lovely.

Moving direction from major new build to renovation, extension and private new build, I went to multi finish as you can use it for anything . Again lovely to use on any surface including board.

I've now gone back to a new build contractor and have to use board finish. Christ it's changed a bit.

I find the first coat goes of dead quick on me. 2nd coat seems to hang.

Add any water and it turns fatty.

Once ready for final trowel and cross trowel, I find the finish is nothing compared to multi. Struggle and mostly fail to achieve my usual bowling green affect finish

Clean tools and water.
No over mixing.
My laborer mixes no more than a bag a time to reduce sitting time.

First coat of up to 3 mixes.
Flatten.
Tidy second coat.
Flatten.
Trowel.
Wet trowel.
Cross trowel.

What am I missing with the board finish these days?

Any plasterers found the same difference between multi and board?

Cheers

When I first started the plasterer I served my time with only used multi then when I went on my own I started to experiment with board finish and I never look back I can't wait round for multi the only time I use multi now is when I do big ceilings.

I used to love the stuff but now I've gone back to it I'm definitely missing something!

First coats going in quicker than you'd normally expect really. Then second coat seem dead fatty and doesn't want to trowel right.

board finish is not in my good books at the minute!

We use to use board finish for everything 20 years back when I first started,then one day it changed and you couldn't get the m2 on it was going off too quick and it became much harder to get a top finish. Can't remember what year we changed to multi but it must of been at least 10. I felt they made us all go over to multi. Ever site we worked all changed to multi overnight. I love multi I'm not complaining. I've never been on any job and they tell me it has to be board finish though. They don't even stock it in any builder merchants near me

I was just saying that. I do remember and yeah it was about 10 years ago.

Bloke who taught me said the board finish mixer man must have retired!

This is a bovis building site I'm on at the minute and all they use is board finish.

Finding the stuff a real nightmare at the minute.

The work produced is acceptable but to me looking at it it just doesn't give that jump off the wall, that's the b*ll***s type finish.

Got to be something I'm missing with it at the minute

No idea mate. Stuffs feels crap compared to multi finish.

Funny thing is it dries out not too bad. just looks crap when you're working on it.

Have found out that another plasterer washes his buckets in the bosh we use for our water.

That can't be normal can it? Dirty tainted water to skim with?? Really?

First we had multi bashing now board finish lol, seems like the plastering world is being taken over by big girls.

I have not had any problems no matter where I but my gear

First we had multi bashing now board finish lol, seems like the plastering world is being taken over by big girls.

I have not had any problems no matter where I but my gear
You.are iether fantastic ora lier some people.including me agree somthingisnt rite.but you no better

No idea mate. Stuffs feels crap compared to multi finish.

Funny thing is it dries out not too bad. just looks crap when you're working on it.

Have found out that another plasterer washes his buckets in the bosh we use for our water.

That can't be normal can it? Dirty tainted water to skim with?? Really?
I woodnt use dirty water bad bad bad.

Ok I've caught up now Brandon!

Terrible habit for a plasterer that isn't it! Couldn't figure out why I started with clean water then it was filthy half hour later!

You.are iether fantastic ora lier some people.including me agree somthingisnt rite.but you no better
Hey listen I'm a plasterer I mix up my gear and put it on walls and ceilings and deal with whatever the day has in store, I can honestly say I have not had any issues with the plaster, now that doesn't make me a liar nor does it make me fantastic.

Surly if the first coat of multi is pulling in quick on board but the second coat is hanging is not the plaster causing this but the plasterboard pulling the plaster in then it's damp when second coat is applied so it does not pull the second coat in

Ashley that is actually a good point.

Board finish this we're on about.

But then this is a new build site I'm on so boards don't tend to be stood about too long. Never know where they've been before hand or how long they've been there.

it's deffinitely lost something when towing up though.

You on board finish at the minute?

Gps I think we all pretty much get it on and get on top of it, just some people have noticed a definite change in board finish. As there was about 10 years ago.

It's also about giving people a heads up that if you can stay away from board finish and pick up the multi.

It's also about finding out if there's anything out there about changing the way the product is used slightly to get the best.

Not just chuck it on and hope for the best.

Use what ever is available even unifinsh today now that isShite
20 years ago only used board finish as multi took to long

Been using board for 20 years and used alot of multi too.
Board is the best its like spreading fanny juice, i love it

Been using board for 20 years and used alot of multi too.
Board is the best its like spreading fanny juice, i love it

Ckj I don't know what sort of fanny juice you've been finding along you're way for the last 20 years!!

What's the cracks with it then? I used to use it the same as multi. was fine.

Have definitely noticed a change in the stuff over the last couple of months.

Its never been the same since it taken over from BG serving us plasterers with this rubbish,we used to get three sets on a day now its just two,its a bloody nightmare to judge which is the best one on that day.

Ckj I don't know what sort of fanny juice you've been finding along you're way for the last 20 years!!

What's the cracks with it then? I used to use it the same as multi. was fine.

Have definitely noticed a change in the stuff over the last couple of months.
Im from wigan theres some proper filth here! Ha
I just use it same as always pal not seen any difference apart from weather, temperature difference. I get 3 gauges on and finish at 3

Status
Not open for further replies.