Black stains on wood after a splash->how to clean it?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like oiled veneer oak doors mate? Defo not the sort of thing u want plaster on so in future cover up. Lacquered woods are sealed so comes off easier.

You could sand them but will have to re oil after.

Think you might have a problem there I would ask the specific question on google. Some woods will clean up others the stain is there for good

Leave to dry then a sand down, worked for me on a new real wood kitchen worktop that hadnt been sealed, the damp went through the dust sheet. Good luck.

the only way now is like others have said,, you will need to rub it down,, the deeper the stain the more you will have to rub it down,, good luck as sometimes these stains never go completely ,, as also mentioned the wood should be covered or sealed before any plastering work starts

Before you try sandpaper try white spirit and a lint free cloth have a few goes at it this way letting the spirit dry before you sand it.

Been on a few jobs where the house has a cedar shingle roof and when an addition is built and they aren't putting on a whole new roof ,I've seen roofers do a lime wash on the new shingles and it burns an "aged" color on them so the new addition doesn't stand out for the year or two that it takes for them to naturally age.

You could try oxalic acid. I used this for getting black damp out of oak window frames before re varnishing. You buy it in crystal form from a chemists and mix with water.

i took pictures a day after...was hope they gonna disappear,
i will try white spirit and if it would not help i will go for sand paper

thanks lads for your help

get a halogen light on it :) Thats faded a few for me in the past....

I was on a job just recently when a solid oak door got raped with plaster...lol I even said before we started it needed covering but the other spreads (whos job it was) said nah it will be fine the doors are going....lol

Customer went bat ****....

Halogen lamp and fine sand and it was all good.. I think

Always carry a roll of plastic & some masking tape won't have these problemos then :RpS_thumbup:

I always tape up with polythene where wood is concerned especially oak etc even get this masking tape specially for wood so it doesn't splinter when you peel it off. You can do the best job in the world but when a customer see's damage to anything you risk not getting paid !!?? :-0

and let dust come to each bedroom
great!

next time definitely will cover them

I usually remove the door, then place a dustsheet over the opening (outside of the room, not inside), more to protect from splashes than anything else. Sods' Law says you will always drop a bomb right by the opening if you didn't :RpS_thumbup:

You could try oxalic acid. I used this for getting black damp out of oak window frames before re varnishing. You buy it in crystal form from a chemists and mix with water.

Good advice Tony, I used to work for a French polishers and we used to use this to bleach would. Comes from rhubarb I believe!

No matter how well you mask up plaster seems to get in somewhere. No much you can do now apart from rubbing it down. For future reference if you are on another job with un sealed timber carry a jif lemon with you. The moment you see a bit od masking tape lifting or a splash on the timber give it a wipe with the lemon juice.

This is the way oak and ash are murder for it sanding it down can make a hollow that stands out when varnished.

Status
Not open for further replies.