Black spots/spores

Status
Not open for further replies.

dai dog

Hi guys, I've had this bungalow about 11 years, about 18 months ago we decided to completely renovate it prior to our second son coming, we did a lot of work including a re skim throughout. Now, this winter we've had an atack of these black spots! We've never really had them before, if any, very little! I've always been aware that they come because of the lack of air circulation etc, but we've done nothing different this year!? So I'm scratching my head a little! I'll try and post a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 308
It is wetter this winter than usual. Check the outside for faults and look into how you create moisture in your home. You say prior to your second son coming? Lots more washing and drying over the radiators?

It is wetter this winter than usual. Check the outside for faults and look into how you create moisture in your home. You say prior to your second son coming? Lots more washing and drying over the radiators?
Nothing changed outside, it's facebrick, she tumbles everything, the spots are in every room!?

I have same problem and had a nuaire drimaster fitted for condensation , it definitely seems to help and it keeps the house warmer during the day, my one needs an attic. Cost £305 , there are many brands available

I rent my old house out and the tennbants (young couple with a little in) said some areas getting black spots in the rooms upstairs?? I know when I lived there it wasn't the case but I never had the heating on all day every day and not open windows etc?? Wondering what to do to sort it but no it have to spend loads?? :RpS_confused:

If anything, we don't have the heating on so much!? We had a whomping bill! Lol
You may have to do the vent option or apply that breathable plaster on the exterior walls?? @Artisan998 knows his stuff on damp matters and best bet to ask??

Last edited by a moderator:
I rent my old house out and the tennbants (young couple with a little in) said some areas getting black spots in the rooms upstairs?? I know when I lived there it wasn't the case but I never had the heating on all day every day and not open windows etc?? Wondering what to do to sort it but no it have to spend loads?? :RpS_confused:
Look into fitting a p.i.v low maintenance and heat recovery etc.

That answer was for you dai not marshi cos asif answered marshy's question but i didnt see it @dai dog

I'look into it John as don't want this young couple unhappy in the house especially with a little un in tow. Is this plumber territory or heating engineer??
Simple electrics, get a sparks, less than an hours work, you could do the mechanics, cutting hole in loft and fixing unit down then a half an hour would do the sparks, I think it will pay for it self, making the place more economic, more warmer and cleaner, but take advice as I just had it fitted

deffo damp, maybe get a humidifier, if you have a chimney in the house the damp might come in through there as it's pretty common to have vents on chimney breasts (assuming it's not being used for a fire) with all the rain getting in makes everything damp.

Simple electrics, get a sparks, less than an hours work, you could do the mechanics, cutting hole in loft and fixing unit down then a half an hour would do the sparks, I think it will pay for it self, making the place more economic, more warmer and cleaner, but take advice as I just had it fitted
Right nice one John am gonna look into it cheers buddy :RpS_thumbup:

it could be your tumble dryer causing the trouble. turn the heat up ,open the windows, not a good tip for january but that is what is needed. go and purchase some detol mould off and clean the black mould off the walls and ceiling, moisture always goes to the coldest area in the room and turns to black mould. the spores from black mould is a health hazard.

Cheers anyways Arti not just for me, for helping dai dog as well :RpS_thumbup:

I was telling you so you could tell Dai and make it sound like you know what your talking about..............i was trying to big you up but you've ruined it....................:rolleyes).......................FFS

I was telling you so you could tell Dai and make it sound like you know what your talking about..............i was trying to big you up but you've ruined it....................:rolleyes).......................FFS
Oh well I'll have to wait for an OTT thread lol :RpS_laugh:

think it's all this wet weather were having, all the roads and car parks are green around here covered in moss, can't ever remember that happening before.

Hi guys, I've had this bungalow about 11 years, about 18 months ago we decided to completely renovate it prior to our second son coming, we did a lot of work including a re skim throughout. Now, this winter we've had an atack of these black spots! We've never really had them before, if any, very little! I've always been aware that they come because of the lack of air circulation etc, but we've done nothing different this year!? So I'm scratching my head a little! I'll try and post a pic
Hi Dai, have you added loft insulation recently?

Hi Dai, have you added loft insulation recently?
Or took it out? :) we need to get to the bottom of this it could answer all our questions, something has changed and I doubt it's the weather. What type of paint did you use? Pva or pregrit? Any new airfreshener? Different flooring? Wall ties? New windows? New kettle? Board or multie?

Or took it out? :) we need to get to the bottom of this it could answer all our questions, something has changed and I doubt it's the weather. What type of paint did you use? Pva or pregrit? Any new airfreshener? Different flooring? Wall ties? New windows? New kettle? Board or multie?

Pva, no air freshener, same flooring quickstep 950,2 new windows, yes there is a new kettle! Multi finish, the tumbler is self condensing, the bungalow haste cavity wall insulation, but always has! (Over 11-12 years!) the only room that hasn't got it is the living room, are we keeping the rest of the house too cold I'm thinking?

Pva, no air freshener, same flooring quickstep 950,2 new windows, yes there is a new kettle! Multi finish, the tumbler is self condensing, the bungalow haste cavity wall insulation, but always has! (Over 11-12 years!) the only room that hasn't got it is the living room, are we keeping the rest of the house too cold I'm thinking?
Are the new windows in the rooms effected? Do they have vents? Did the last windows have vents? Is it the same drier you had before? Is the kettle electric the same as the last? Has this happened since the reskim?

Status
Not open for further replies.