Black ash plaster ??

Members online

Andrew0122

Hi all. I've just bought a 1930's house in the north of England anc currently stripping the wallpaper in the bedroom. In a couple of patches, lumps of black grainey "plaster" is falling off. This black material is coated with what appears to be a thin skim coat of light plaster (like icing). From reading various things on the internet, I am tending to think this is Ash Plaster/mortar. There appears to be conflicting repair info. Can I just remove the loose patched and fill with modern all purpose plaster and what should I prepare the black sutfae with prior to filling , PVA 1:1 mix ?? Your expert advice would be appreciated......

giphy (13).gif

Hi all. I've just bought a 1930's house in the north of England anc currently stripping the wallpaper in the bedroom. In a couple of patches, lumps of black grainey "plaster" is falling off. This black material is coated with what appears to be a thin skim coat of light plaster (like icing). From reading various things on the internet, I am tending to think this is Ash Plaster/mortar. There appears to be conflicting repair info. Can I just remove the loose patched and fill with modern all purpose plaster and what should I prepare the black sutfae with prior to filling , PVA 1:1 mix ?? Your expert advice would be appreciated......
Yes mate

It was his birthday 75, it's funny that 75 doesn't sound old now.
It’s not. My folks are still travelling the world over in theirs 60s and 70s. Last summer they drove through about 20 countries in their camper van!

You just need to be lucky enough to have your health

And believe you’re in your 20s still!

Happy birthday norm!! @The Hobo