bitcumen

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basher

Went to look at a job the other night 3 town houses having damping done, so they have chopped off metre high fair enough but then they have had a spread come in he scratch it then paint bitcumen over the top of the scratch coat!! i thought you paint in over the bricks and then chuck some sand over it as a key!! Its been lefted for 3 weeks like it and the bitcumen is like glass and as its waterproof i cant see anythin sticking to it am i wrong in my thoughts many thanks lads

They might be playing for time - maybe when they get back they're gonna put more bitumen on and then throw sand into that coat?

What's happened to the other spread??
If it's dry & like glass no water or damp will get through the bitumen so give it a coat of bonding then skim, you could give it a coat of bond it or WBA 1st if you want :RpS_thumbup:

What have they scratched it with??? If its hardwall or bonding it will deteriate that first so whatever you put on top will fall off.Knock the lot off and start again.The bitch needs to go on the bricks.

I was thinking it was scratched with s+c if not do what hollybank says:RpS_thumbup:

not necassarily...
different ways of tanking....
which is what this is...
you can tank the bricks and render over the top...
or you can scratch the bricks with waterproofer, then tank the scratch coat then float over the top...
known as 'sandwich' tanking i think, done in basements etc to combat hydrostatic pressure...
warrior would know more..

All they are doing is sealing a m2 high , so the moisture will come out above this line. Walls need to breathe. Putting strong mixes of render is the wrong solution for these kinds of works.

not necassarily...
different ways of tanking....
which is what this is...
you can tank the bricks and render over the top...
or you can scratch the bricks with waterproofer, then tank the scratch coat then float over the top...
known as 'sandwich' tanking i think, done in basements etc to combat hydrostatic pressure...
warrior would know more..

correct, can do the same with cement based systems sand cement scratch coat, has to be a very good key if using bitumen to carry the subsequent coats of render, limelight, dri- coat etc

Just asking Chris - it's good to know what the great and the wise [and you:RpS_laugh:] on here are using.....but K11 is what I use - given the chance:RpS_thumbup:

quite a few using a 10mm membrane i hear.... allows you to fill it back up to level at 1m with whatever you like, like bonding for example... and still blend it into existing..
quick, easy, and you can pay a muppet £6 an hour.... :RpS_laugh:

No basement work on at the minute henry - not that I'm looking for it ether. Just asking questions mate:RpS_thumbup: There was a system I used about a year ago was like a giant bubble-wrap with plastic mushroom plugs to fix it on. It was a right ball-ache to fit, but that's what was spec'd. Not sure of it's name now.........oldroyd I think.

thats the cavity drain mate, olroyd 'p' its called...
once you get the knack its quicker and causes less problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.