Bit of help for a cowboy please

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

moy83

Well lads I do alot of work for a family that are sound , between them they run about 40 pubs in Ireland and never pass me for any plastering big or small and never question my prices . One of them landed into me today with a cheque for materials and told me to make a start on her house .
I dont do EWI but I have done a two day course on how to do it but thats a couple of years ago now .
Im going to make a start in a few weeks and I will bring a lad with experience with me , but if the good people of this forum could give me advice Ill take it all on board .
Ill be using 4" platinum boards with an acrylic finish from weber .
Thanks in advance lads

Welcome hope you fins what vyour looking for , I will say that going with a,platinum eps is the way to go ,good luck

Thanks Ill use the best stuff possible . The acrylic finish is what Im worried about getting the best finish on mostly

Just remember.stagger joints. Minimum 200mm cuts.
L.shapes round doors.windows,
Corect drill patterns,
Overlap scrim.
Stress pads.
Order the right colour!

Cold bridging ???? WTF is that :RpS_lol: Only joking

Now correct drill patterns ? This is something Ive not heard of or thought about tell me more please . Ill be sticking them first to straighten things up a bit and I was planning to dart them after with maybe 5 darts per sheet ( 4 square and 1 or 2 in the middle )

Weber will have their own adhesive and drilling pattern. Not sure what it is tho.
All manufacturers are different.
Contact weber. They will tell you

Well lads I do alot of work for a family that are sound , between them they run about 40 pubs in Ireland and never pass me for any plastering big or small and never question my prices . One of them landed into me today with a cheque for materials and told me to make a start on her house .
I dont do EWI but I have done a two day course on how to do it but thats a couple of years ago now .
Im going to make a start in a few weeks and I will bring a lad with experience with me , but if the good people of this forum could give me advice Ill take it all on board .
Ill be using 4" platinum boards with an acrylic finish from weber .
Thanks in advance lads

here is my first bit of help - you wont be using 4" boards you will be using 100mm boards. :RpS_thumbup:

Is 100mm much thicker than 4" ? Thanks for the starting point :RpS_confused:

not really its about a mm but it is 2013 not 1971. the younger lads on site might not know what your on about brother.

also remember to rasp your eps befor you mesh it

not really its about a mm but it is 2013 not 1971. the younger lads on site might not know what your on about brother.

also remember to rasp your eps befor you mesh it

Do you mean rasp the high points out of it ?
Is it all metric in England now ? I thought ye were still imperial ?

Im heading over to port talbot / swansea in a few weeks if any of the posters here are in that area and want to give me a lesson in EWI it would be great .
Or show me the nightclubs with the best/dirtiest birds would be good also :flapper:

Im heading over to port talbot / swansea in a few weeks if any of the posters here are in that area and want to give me a lesson in EWI it would be great .
Or show me the nightclubs with the best/dirtiest birds would be good also :flapper:

a few round swansea that could get you a head start on here pal.

you wont have a problem finding that.

yes rasp the high spots down and also the whole surface to improve adhesion - uv kills the surface of insulation and a deposit is left on the outer surface that is not visible in early weeks at least after time you will see it/feel it but it gives longevity to the render system - good practice

How ye lads , I made a start on the EWI job last week and I have a few questions for ye
What is the highest temperature that the base coat can be used in ?
What is the best type of foam for filling the (very odd ! ) joint between the boards ?
Do many lads use the frame seal beads or do ye just plaster the reveals straight into the frame ?
Thanks lads

Ideally about 20c but if higher then on the East side or North side. Always work in the shade and cover up in the sun before and after the work is done.

as for foam? I came across some non expanding foam recently but some foam is better than non.

if you can use abu beads then yes they are the proper beads to use. if not the either the foam strip between the insulation and frame with a 1mm cut in the thin coat around the frame and sill or just the 1mm gap. But abu bead is the way to go. IMO anyway.

(had a few at the tram fest so pardon me) (got the hic ups).

How ye lads , I made a start on the EWI job last week and I have a few questions for ye
What is the highest temperature that the base coat can be used in ?
What is the best type of foam for filling the (very odd ! ) joint between the boards ?
Do many lads use the frame seal beads or do ye just plaster the reveals straight into the frame ?
Thanks lads

Low expansion dense PU gun foam - spit do a good one.

frame seal beads every time here. if not as rigger syas use the expanding seal tape (compriband tape) between the eps and abuttment to window frame also use this under the sills - it is spec on all the systems but you will find very few stick to the spec. it absorbs the different movement between the two materials and seals the job off.

getting paid for fitting is a whole other issue

Howye lads I finished my EWI job a couple of weeks ago thanks for the pointers .
Every thing was grand but rubbing up the finish was not easy work or was I making it hard on myself ? Should 2 men be able to throw on and rub up a 35m2 panel with ease ? I found with any bit of sun or drying wind you could get caught out with a joint awful easy . Im not sure was I rubbing too much and wasting time but the weber man was saying to rub the crap out of it to be sure not to be left with a shiny patch .
Any thoughts ? I got the weber instructor out to take a look at it and he was happy out but I still think I could make it easier on myself somehow

easy if u know how bottom row of boards pins ****** 6 pattern rest ****** 5 maybe 4 in half boards if its Weber u can scrim it and top it of almost straight away with the same adhesive make sure uv added all relevant mesh silicone slightly water down until fairly pissy trowel on the scrape back to about 1.5 min rub with float until ur float gets heavy scrape off fat then do the same again once a small areas done go back over very lightly to take off high bits dont go crazy with area Weber doesn't last long before it goes off

Howye lads I finished my EWI job a couple of weeks ago thanks for the pointers .
Every thing was grand but rubbing up the finish was not easy work or was I making it hard on myself ? Should 2 men be able to throw on and rub up a 35m2 panel with ease ? I found with any bit of sun or drying wind you could get caught out with a joint awful easy . Im not sure was I rubbing too much and wasting time but the weber man was saying to rub the crap out of it to be sure not to be left with a shiny patch .
Any thoughts ? I got the weber instructor out to take a look at it and he was happy out but I still think I could make it easier on myself somehow

you dont get any time with texture its rapid fire work, if you find your taking too long and getting joints, scars, tears etc you need more men on the wall until you can do it rapid.

only really seconds/minutes between laying and rubbing, a 35 m wall should only take a short amount of time say for three men

in wind and hot sun texture will skin over instantly

you dont get any time with texture its rapid fire work, if you find your taking too long and getting joints, scars, tears etc you need more men on the wall until you can do it rapid.

only really seconds/minutes between laying and rubbing, a 35 m wall should only take a short amount of time say for three men

in wind and hot sun texture will skin over instantly

Yup there was only the two of us at it , I'd say the third man was what was needed . But it turned out grand just my hole was out keeping it rubbed and throwing on

Status
Not open for further replies.