Bit of advice please fella's

Status
Not open for further replies.

teddy2cups

As above,customer wants a fairly big concrete retaining wall done in monocouche i've used webbers and the like on small extensions but wasn't sure about a garden wall with it be damp all the time.So a few questions?

Prime it fist and then 2 passes?
Rend-aid and top coat?
or fully meshed

or don't bother with any of the above and go for good old S+C?

Cheers boys:RpS_thumbup:

if the wall is retaining earth and is a fair height then you need to look at the amount of earth the wall is retaining and the thickness of the retainer.
is it a shuttered and poured concrete wall?
what is at the bottom of the wall< grass / paving / concrete?
bit more spec mate, height / materials / size ect and ill try and give some knowledge :)

Ok bud,the wall is 3meters high 9 inch conkers laid flat,top of the wall is large grassed area-bottom of the wall is new patio area:RpS_thumbup:

ok pal,
I did a similar job last summer which was a concave retainer at a height of 4.2m with a length run of 46m
the wall was retaining on to a court yard and was holding back some serious tonnage of earth.
you need to use a tanking slurry on the concrete surface, check your local dpc suppliers or decent builders merchants for what's available. (all pretty much the same
Tanking slurry's are not cheap but will do the job and give piece of mind.
Paint or roll on slurry over concrete surface and When slurry has dried scratch coat s&c nice n tight 3 to 1 mix (washed sand) less chance of salting.
then your usual external 2 coat render mix onto the scratch and trowel up and rub flat.
tip: 3 to 1 soft sand render mix add 1/2 shovel of hydrated lime to mix.
hope that helps pal :RpS_thumbup:

@timeservedspread just the info i was looking for fella:RpS_thumbsup:

It sounds identical to the job I've got to do-told them it wont be cheap,but thats what they want!!

Last edited by a moderator:
any time pal,
saw your post and realised you had a good grip of the trade and I don't mind helping out an educated post from a fellow spread.
we've done about 14 large area exteral / landscaping tanking & render jobs over a good number of years and as of yet we have had 100% track record with this method.
Glad to help bud. :)

any time pal,
saw your post and realised you had a good grip of the trade and I don't mind helping out an educated post from a fellow spread.
we've done about 14 large area exteral / landscaping tanking & render jobs over a good number of years and as of yet we have had 100% track record with this method.
Glad to help bud. :)

Cheers Bud:RpS_biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.