bit of advice neeeded...

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrSpoon85

evening all, im after a bit of advice if possible...

my grirlfriends auntie has a pub and they they have a brick building out back that they want to convert into a function room... as far as i am aware its jsut literally a bricke building with nothing other than windows and doors, being used as a store room at the mo, they are having someone to to the electrics and a plumber is coming to bung in a tap. all ive got to do is board it out and skim it, but.... was just wondering.. im guessing ill need to somehow put some sort of damp proofing in place and insulation? but im completely baffled about what i'll have to do in order to acheive this... damp proof sheeting on the walls + floor, put in some timber studs and use insulating wadding sheet stuff then board it?? theres no time limit to completing it really, well i have a couple of months i think, which is way way more than enough :cool:

any advice greatly appreciated! :cool:

If your worried its gonna get damp i would put a coat of dry-coat or limelite on then dot n dab thermo insulated plasterboard shouldnt get any probs with that. the over the top version would be top put a coat of vandex on before.

well ive seen the building from the outside, looks a fairly modern building, still not been inside to have a look yet as it turns out its just the my girlfriends parents have jsut told me what wants doing and not actually been asked formally, so meh, all abit if and maybe, but i have a couple of pics taken from inside from the mrs, she says it appears to already be plastered inside and everything, just that is lookin a bit tatty, so looks like a simple re-skim job, the ceiling has support beams across the middle, so good news for me cos ill be able to skim the ceiling in 2 halfs or 3 sections or whatever, i still dont know hopw many beams are going across or whatever, all i have is these 3 rather crap pictures!
Photo-0020.jpg

Photo-0023.jpg

Photo-0024.jpg

Gary b Dri-coat is the same as limelite i think you are getting confused with dry-wall adhesive, dry-coat and limelite are cement based lightweight plasters designed to stop damp.

Bod, limelite should not come into contact with gypsum based plaster even for fixing the beads but dri-coat should be skimmed with board finish so I presume that it is ok to direct bond to with bonding compound/dry-wall adhesive.

Yeah i see your point but you shouldnt use any gypsum based material before any cement based coat goes on, including dri-coat but you can skim limelite with multi finish.

Bod thought you were telling him to scratch on with limelite or dri-coat before he direct bonded the wall. Spec for limelite says not to use gypsum based products at all.

Below are extracts taken off the Tarmac website and the link is to the pdf file

Limelite Backing Plasters should never be applied to backgrounds containing traces of gypsum.

Never use any other finishing coat than High Impact Finishing Plaster on Limelite undercoats without prior consultation with the manufacturer.

http://www.tarmac.co.uk/CMSPozament/downloads/01 7 WF 84-2 LIMELITE SPECIFIERS GUIDE Sep04.pdf

Its in our spec on the job we are doing at the moment, and have been drafted up by the architect, so he must have checked. Well i hope so other wise every thing we have done on the job we are doing is wrong. He has totally gone over the top with the spec we had to put 2 coats of sand and cement render with silka waterproofer at 3:1 then a coat of vandex then limelite then d,n,d thermoboards and eventually skim. I have used both dri-coat and limelite and to be honest i couldnt tell the difference between them when mixed as they seem to be the same material, I personally think that tarmac dont want you using other finishes. Ive used there finish and it takes all day to go off.

Thing is Bod if he's told you to do it then you do it, mind you his spec looks like that of a scared man, talk about OTT. Personally I like the tarmac finish when I'm on a day rate LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.