Big Cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

herds

I'm psyching myself up to skim a upstairs hallway wall, i've plastered the other side of this lathe wall in the bedroom the other week and that was ok, however I notice on this wall there is one crack that is very long...

13122012237.jpg

What would you guys do, this crack is about 3 foot long? just scrim it? or open it and put a bit of bonding in there? or bonding + scrim?

This is the 2nd biggest one...

13122012238.jpg

The one above the door is normal movement the other looks like the backing is loose, if its not just tape, but tell the customer you can only reduce the chances of the crack appearing again coz fibre tape aint gonna stop subsidence.

Knock off the plaster either side of the crack approx 200mm . Screw and plug expanded metal and rough back in flush with existing plaster. Then skim complete wall. Job down !

either scrim it. add a patch of 1000mm mesh over the whole thing or put fibres in your first coat. if you start taking it off chances are itll just keep coming off more and more

100mm scrim tape over the cracks, and skim in the normal manner. As said if you start picking at it you may get a lot more on the floor than you expect.

the cracks will reappear if you scrim and skim it, its movement in the structure of the house and quite normal, heavy lining paper hides this for a lot longer than skimming will.

Pva that area, put some bonding in & over the crack, then put dampened paper tape into the bonding, then cover the tape with more bonding then skim.

the cracks will reappear if you scrim and skim it, its movement in the structure of the house and quite normal, heavy lining paper hides this for a lot longer than skimming will.
Hack the wall off and start again then, don't be daft it's a reskim if you went into an old house there's bound to be the odd crack

Personally I would just ask the customer what kind of result they want you to achieve. If they want you to give it the highest chance of staying crack-free you would have to strip it and re-board it, but this is unlikely as it is one of the costliest solutions. If they are ASKING for an over-skim then you need to make it clear about the limitations that an over-skim has and the possibility of future cracking. Clarify the customers' expectations and their willingness to provide an appropriate budget :RpS_thumbup:

Or just fibatape it :RpS_wink:

Customer... i'm the customer, haha.

So really its a bit of unknown as to what might happen in the future.

Being a novice why couldn't I say open the gap up a little more, pva then apply bonding into the crack... then skim?

Hack the wall off and start again then, don't be daft it's a reskim if you went into an old house there's bound to be the odd crack
Hacking off and starting again will allow you to hide the cracking for longer but not indefinitely..

The wall is pretty big and lathe, so hacking it ALL off is not an option.
rake out the cracks,mix filler with pva for elasticity. you can scrim and skim also. as I said before heavy duty lining paper hides cracks for a long time

or you could caulk it if you want to go that route. just scrim it. if you want to be doubly sure just mesh it with thin coat render mesh. not eml. if you take it off theres a chance itl just keep coming and coming. the answer is to take it all off. if you dont want to do that then the above method will suffice. i certainly wouldnt guarantee it if it was one of my jobs though

Status
Not open for further replies.