Big crack!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

1080mulls

Hi guys,
I recently had to plaster a bare brick wall with a length of timber instead of a coarse of brick (as in photo).

P3040032-2_2.jpg

I meshed over the wood before I started (hardwall then multi) thinking that would do the job - Yes I was wrong. When I painted the wall a big crack appeared across the full length from door to door, right above the wood.

I'm guessing the wood expanded a lot due to the water whilst plastering. I was planning to let it settle, then tape it and re-skim. Is that right, or should I do something else?

I'd very much appreciate any suggestions.

yeah tape it and reskim ..... what a shame :(.

When you mesh over any timber you need to mesh at least 100mm either side of the timber .... did you do that or just mesh the timber ?

I always cover timber with plasterboard and then scrim both edges of the board. Easier than mesh and no cracks.

depending on the type of timber as well,i use buildng paper prior to any eml,or just board over it as said above if you have the depth.

another thing span the timber with wider eml then fix into the mortar not the timber cos like said the wood can twist when the new plaster dampens it then dries out it can move on drying also should use building paper like owls suggested

Status
Not open for further replies.