big ceiling ...

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardbrown

Private Member
Guys I have a big ceiling to do on Friday 85m2 and thought I would try to add something to slow it down.

I have been through the old posts.

So is this cream of tarter and good or is there anything better??

Thanks

Rich

this one is hard to roll as it breaks off everywhere and it is hot as fook here at the moment so everything is setting real quick

definitely use board finish and go easy when you mix it, none of that angel delight malarkey. But 85m is a big ask. Really need another spread.

someone mentioned the other day possibly getting in one of those portable air con units the day before maybe? bit exensive to buy if you havent already got one unless you can borrow or hire it? i wouldnt like to try the tarter trick incase it didnt work!

Sub it to Performance Plastering, Plymouths premier plastering service.

My mate uses cream of tarter, he reckons 2 tea spoons per bag of gear.Also herd Board addy slows it down again.

Seriously we have been finished by 12 its quality, plus its all high level and we have to give the scissor lift back at 8 then onto the next job.

Bod said:
We have been starting at 4 in the morning to beat the heat which seems to work out a lot better.
thats the way mate... i used to start at 5am in spain and finished 11-12am but 4 am is pushing it...

Render Systems said:
Bod said:
We have been starting at 4 in the morning to beat the heat which seems to work out a lot better.
thats the way mate... i used to start at 5am in spain and finished 11-12am but 4 am is pushing it...

doesnt everyone finish at 12 in spain?!

hello m8te im best frend lives in portsmouth he can lay on 30m2 at a time and its a good finish why not try a sponge float m8te that works pm me if you want and ill send you his number

carping said:
hello m8te im best frend lives in portsmouth he can lay on 30m2 at a time and its a good finish why not try a sponge float m8te that works pm me if you want and ill send you his number

your strange :-\

kebab king said:
i start a bout 08.00, and finnish at 1200, that gives my 4 hours to eat pies.

You need to try some sushi mate. The weight will drop off you ;) How about a nice sushi pie ;D

Get some bodies in or split it down and feather in. Im sure a man of your capabilities can
feather in real nice! ;D

try this
The rolling set
« on: March 27, 2009, 11:29:54 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the term used when you lay up the kind of metres you would normally lay in a day in ONE set, For example if you have a really big wall to do say 60 metres or a large ceiling 40m to 50m.

The idea is to mix up small batch's of gear so that you are always working with fresh plaster rather than mixing up one massive tub and it all going off at the same time. Using this method the Set is going off at different times so you can easily keep on top of it.

This is how I would approach it.

If say the ceiling is 10m by 5m this works out at 50m2 what I would do (and did on artex the other day) is break the ceiling into 3 sections and put chalk marks on the walls to indicate where the 3 sections are.

Lets call them A B and C.

Mix up and lay A .....
Mix up and lay B .....
Flatten in A
Mix up and lay c .....
Flatten in B
Second coat A
Flatten in c
Second coat b

etc etc etc

This may seem complicated so if you dont quite understand (spunkybum) then draw the ceiling on a piece of paper and divide it up into A, B and C and look at it and you will soon realise how easy and simple it is.

You will find every couple of years the need to either do this or pay a mate to help you, master this way and you'll be quids in

Hope this helps

Rich B

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 11:45:28 PM by richardbrown »

carping said:
lol ;D

A handful of board adheshive per mix is supposed to slow it down a treat. Never tried it but heard it mentioned loads.

ther will have to be at least 2 spreads as it is awkward as hell going round pillars etc etc so not a nice big rectangle if you like.

Dont use stilts mate but will be using my tower on wheels to help me out.

richardbrown said:
ther will have to be at least 2 spreads as it is awkward as hell going round pillars etc etc so not a nice big rectangle if you like.

Dont use stilts mate but will be using my tower on wheels to help me out.
wanna hand ???

the way i would do it is,you start putting it on ,say your halfway through and it needs flatting in,get second bloke to start that and when youve finished putting first coat on hes halfway through flatening start laying it in ,when your half way through that second bloke can start troweling up ans so on ;)

rich i am a big fan of cream of tartar use it all the time apart from slowing it down it doesnt affect it in any way at all i have no prob getting 3 sets a day in using it

Status
Not open for further replies.