Big ceiling sos

Status
Not open for further replies.

windy

Private Member
Hi all

Got to do a ceiling on my own. My biggest so far about 23m (dont laugh)
Will be on me todd doin me own mixing etc so stretching myself on this one. If i lose the ceiling it doenst make any odds as its in a property i own and let out and old tenant has moved out. So not training on poor members of the public ;D

Gonna try a rolling gauge but i was wondering what you all do if you know you are losing a big ceiling. Do you just walk away and pva and reskim next day or do you try and fix half the ceiling and then do the rest the following day and try to feather in? Or dare i mention the sponge float ::)

Never walk away just keep going and you will be fine, I do ceilings on stilits so 23m is pretty easy going and doing my own mixing, Im sure you will be fine just dont panic and crack on with it, if is an overskim make sure you control the suction with plenty pva.

as above, 23m is a bag and half first mix and 3/4 of a bag for the second coat. work to a method and don't keep going over the same area, you'll be ok!

Get yourself a spayer bottle. Great for dampening up areas going off, got me out of trouble a few times, and because it's more of a mist, you're not applying to much water

My advise is don't mix up to large buckets at a time, I mix 10ltr. of water at a time, that way you're always using and troweling up fresh gear and not chasing your arse.

essexandy said:
My advise is don't mix up to large buckets at a time, I mix 10ltr. of water at a time, that way you're always using and troweling up fresh gear and not chasing your arse.

last time u said this i stuck to it.. much better

Hi all overboarding it myself . Will be using a hop up. Small mixes are the way forward i think

I know i was gonna buy a pair of the cheap stilts from ebay. Lay on on the hop up then do final troweliing with the stilts if i can get stable on them ;D Prob is im working on tarps so a wee bit dangerous

At least you want something that spans the width of the room , think of the ammount of times you will moveing a hop up ? When your moving a hop up your not looking at the ceiling and not at were you have troweled , hop ups are ok and stilts are better but you really need a full decked out scaffold to do a proper job .

refina do some stageing tub s ,i have some use them with a youngaman i have it so it goes one end to the other :)

id go with church and deck out the room. i use stilts these days but when i was getting my speed up a good scaffold is one less thing to be worrying about. you will move faster. get stuck in. set every detail up and go at it like a bull. a good few cross trowels will pull you out. big ceilings are not easy. you just have to push them out.

Cheers for all replies.

Spunk i assume you are not the giant of the plastering world that you are today because you "paid someone else to do it"

Its my own house and if want to push myself to a new limit then thats my choice.

I have already had one experienced spread say he would re skim for £70 so money is not an issue.

Just want to up my game

sorry windy ;D.........just crack on and do it mate there arent many miracle fixes to help, most damage is done when its too wet so its a good thing if its a bit firm ;)

lewisricekrispy said:
If you put down hard board on top of your tarps, then tape up joints, I'd of thought stilts would be no probs.

sod all that do what i do.. get large plastic sheet on roll .. lay over room bar a few inchs from skirts.. then either mask to floor or skirting with tape or the small carpet roll tape.. job done .. roll up after use and stick in there bin 10 mins to set up 20 secs to take away.. :) thats ya lot im giving away gold here.

oasis said:
lewisricekrispy said:
If you put down hard board on top of your tarps, then tape up joints, I'd of thought stilts would be no probs.

sod all that do what i do.. get large plastic sheet on roll .. lay over room bar a few inchs from skirts.. then either mask to floor or skirting with tape or the small carpet roll tape.. job done .. roll up after use and stick in there bin 10 mins to set up 20 secs to take away.. :) thats ya lot im giving away gold here.

never would have thought of that mate never ...................ive got an idea .....whats that mate.......lets put something on the floor and tape it down so it doesnt move ............itll save us buying the customers new carpets..........good idea

twas a joke mate but some people do go around the long way..... and i use thick plastic sheeting so no rips

Poly tears to easy. Also on laminate floors, you drop something and they're f**k*d.
With hard board you can just scrape off any splashes, so use time and time again.

Well, i use a hop up. No faffing around with full scaffoldings etc. It's what i'm used too and it keeps me fit/fuked lol ::)

kebab king said:
Dont bother with sheets, just dont drop anything.lol

well there is that..

here is me giving it all that guess what i did ta day!

used the posh carpet roll down the stairs.. to do a small repair ona ceiling.. got up there and it was lath ..s o i chipped away at the blown bits made a big black dusty mess.. done job cleaned up took away carpet roll.. yup black down either side that was not covered up and Henry dint touch it! looks like ill be back with my rug doctor!

Status
Not open for further replies.