Best method for inside fireplace recess

cornsack

I'm skimming a chimney breast for a customer and he also wants the inside recess of the fireplace lined with some form of fireboard ideally (1930s house).

Any advice on methods or specific boards/adhesives to use?

I'm thinking of dot and dabbing some kind of cement board. Am I right in thinking normal dot and dab mix will work and wont be affected by the heat of a roaring fire? I know you would need to use a lot of it and make sure to leave very small air gaps between because of expansion from heat.

Customer not getting a log burner or anything but wants to 'future proof' it in case he does down the years or sells the house in a year or two (so probably won't get put to the test for a long time)

You can dab fermacell boards and tape the joints. Some boards you can just use a caulk for the joints.

If you block off you will have pools of water from condensation. I made a box up and slid in one but within days there was water running out. I fitted vents and that stopped it.. Sand and cement skim and paint. or cement board and clay brick tiles with sand cement pointing looks good. You can tile it. Depending on what they plan to use it for and what effect and if it needs to be heat resistant

I agree with flynny, it's less dicking about, looks smart and you don't need to worry about which finish next to heat.

Though personally prefer a skin of brick if the fireplace is big enough, that's how I did mine

Thanks for replies. @Wayners won’t be blocking off.

@flynnyman, @JessThePlasterer what mix would you use to render inside fireplace? Would you treat brickwork with anything first?
Clean the brickwork up scratch 4-1 top it with 4-1-1 and rub up smooth, done this last week
IMG_3226.JPG

Nice @flynnyman that looks tidy mate.

Thanks for all the help guys. You have to bare with me here, even the old boys I used to work with from Day 1 didn’t find any rendering work so I never got much experience in it, only a little bit here and there. I’m absolutely amazing at everything else though!

So scratch up 4-1 sand-cement, and top coat 4-1-1 sand-cement-lime?

@johniosaif do you wanna come and do it for me for free as well?