Best course of action ?

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright lads,

Starting a nice job next week where the customer wants all the walls in her lounge plastered - at the mo, they have a heavy artex pattern on them and painted with a nice silk paint !!

The artex is fairly flat (leather effect nice) and is rock bloody hard so scraping would be a ball aching job

So whats my best bet ? I had planned on a generous coat of WBA all over the slik paint, slurry coat of bonding all over and then skim it all

Is that what most of you would do or is there another way / product I should be looking at - cheers

a slurry of bonding? Yeah wba tight coat bondind skim when it starts to change colour.

Why create a mechanical key to artex???????????? no need mate.
either steam the artex off or pva bond and skim.
Dab over another option

skimmin2day said:
Why create a mechanical key to artex???????????? no need mate.
either steam the artex off or pva bond and skim.
Dab over another option
have a word mate

if it was me i would try and knock it all off with hammer and a scraper and some other tools off the van... one's u get behind it.... it could come of quite easy (probably wont). failling that wba it, a coat of bonding and skim. job done

If its rock hard you won't have any issues with it coming away so I would use neat PVA (just 1 coat) and skim when tacky, I use Unibond Super PVA and for painted surfaces this is what they recommend, WBA would work but you have the drying time issue and the added expence

never tried neat pva on a glossy artex background .......wouldnt it just kill all the suction and slide down the walls ;D

pristineplastering said:
Alright lads,

Starting a nice job next week where the customer wants all the walls in her lounge plastered - at the mo, they have a heavy artex pattern on them and painted with a nice silk paint !!

The artex is fairly flat (leather effect nice) and is rock bloody hard so scraping would be a ball aching job

So whats my best bet ? I had planned on a generous coat of WBA all over the slik paint, slurry coat of bonding all over and then skim it all

Is that what most of you would do or is there another way / product I should be looking at - cheers

Knock off any high spots, WBA it then hit it with a slightly stiff coat of board finish try to cover the artex completely, let this first coat hazel off before topping it with second coat of boardy.

I just follow the instructions on the tub, I only use Unibond Super PVA mostly and this is what it states for plastering over painted surfaces: coat with neat unibond PVA, whilst still tacky apply plaster. The way I see it is they know more about this than I'II ever know, each to his own thou

I hate skimming artex but it pays the bills, floor scraper to take the points off, wickes wba have a long cuppa and skim! Jobs a good un.

I have found in the past that artex when painted with silk emulsion has virtually no suction, once primed a ceiling with 3:1 PVA and it took 24 hrs to dry :eek:. So decided to try a different approach have used almost neat PVA (just enough water to make it roll on) but then the Multi would hang there for ages. Have also had artex ceiling which have done the opposite! Set like a f u k a. Have found that WBA or Betakontakt with board finish gives far better results for relatively little extra cost. :)

wba all the time for me i got a call from a lady said plasterer pva then skimed her celling next night she was watching tv and whole celling of multy came off no word of a lie, so stay safe it may take a little longer but it saves that dreded call back

If it's only a thin broken leather no need for bonding mate.
Just pva & 2 coat skim.
If you must, put some sand in the pva.
Cheaper & quicker drying than WBA or thistle bond it.
Never had a come back using pva,
what did we all use before WBA & bond it hmmmm??
Each to there own ay! ;)

Oh & wait till the pva & sand is almost dry then skim with board finish.
This way it won't slide at all.

AS YOU SAY EACH TO THERE OWN BUT I LIKE MY FINISH TO BE FIRMLY STUCK AND NOT SLIDING AROUND EVERY WHERE, IN MY OPINION THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE ,HAVE YOU STARTED ON THE POP YET NISUS ;D ;D

Have now ;D

I’m Not unber the alcohofluence of incohol as many theople pink i are! ::)

Cheers for all your replies guys - whilst there are no high spots to knock off, its too deep a pattern to just WBA and skim so I think the general consensus here is to bond and skim - Many thx

Status
Not open for further replies.