best builders merchant for sand

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure if this has been covered so forgive me if so, have been using travis perkins plastering sand and was really fine and lovely stuff, got a delivery from jewsons and found it was a lot thicker with a bigger grain which would be great for damp work to get it on nice and thick however not so great to use on 'thinner' coats, just wondering what your thoughts are and what you have found??? i.e price/quality etc????

Travis P had the worst sand, it was like beach sand, absolutely no life in it, had to mix screed in it to liven it. I liked the stuff from jewsons the last time I got it there.

I would have thought with the cost of haulage the big boys buy in from not to far away quarries. I have bought the same sand from an independent merchant for the last 25 years and a few 'other' good renderers buy from the same. Stick to what and who you are happy with.

Leighton buzzard sharp washed rendering sand, is the best in England,and washed beach sand the best i have used in wales, scotland/Ireland i take weber OCR (Tiling ) no lime in it !!......

I would have thought with the cost of haulage the big boys buy in from not to far away quarries. I have bought the same sand from an independent merchant for the last 25 years and a few 'other' good renderers buy from the same. Stick to what and who you are happy with.

so where does a 'jedi render knight' like yourself get his sand from???

Leighton buzzard sharp washed rendering sand, is the best in England,and washed beach sand the best i have used in wales, scotland/Ireland i take weber OCR (Tiling ) no lime in it !!......

nice one, what a mega site, would have never have known any of this otherwise, ive learnt more on here in the last 2 weeks than i have in the last year about render so thanks for taking the time mate, i appreciate it.

saw you driving through monkseaton the other day, are you busy?? fancy giving me a hand if not??

Busy till the new year marra.....its dampproofing season............:RpS_thumbup:. if ya stuck in the new year just gis a shout. Are you doing ok with graft??

Busy till the new year marra.....its dampproofing season............:RpS_thumbup:. if ya stuck in the new year just gis a shout. Are you doing ok with graft??
kind of............... plenty work shortage of skilled labour, have to get 200 m2 of topcoat render to be completed by the end of week before wor lass chins me, any graft on for next week would be a god send mate if you have out.............

nice one, what a mega site, would have never have known any of this otherwise, ive learnt more on here in the last 2 weeks than i have in the last year about render so thanks for taking the time mate, i appreciate it.
Every days a school day on this site . keep up the good work fellas..:RpS_thumbsup:

we purchase sand direct from pit, pick up ourselves £13 per ton ,those bags you purchase from builders merchants are only 3 quarters of a ton!

we purchase sand direct from pit, pick up ourselves £13 per ton ,those bags you purchase from builders merchants are only 3 quarters of a ton!
I miss those days when we had a small pit at home, trailer load for a fiver, now its£3 for 25kg

Status
Not open for further replies.