Best available Sharp Sand?

DanBee

I am preparing to renew my Bathroom Ceiling.I just need to know "What is the best sand available(live in Newcastle area) for me to use with Lime Putty,for the Scratch/Base Coat?"
Or will I have to order from another part of the Country,to get the best product?

Find quarry that's open near you and order it from them because that's what they would have done when it was built.

There's a one near shields or whitburn cannot remember now with descent sand
Unless your house is listed why not just go for plaster board ?

Just as an aside here I hope you have someone lined up for the job who knows how to float a ceiling cos trust me it isn't a diy job.

I am preparing to renew my Bathroom Ceiling.I just need to know "What is the best sand available(live in Newcastle area) for me to use with Lime Putty,for the Scratch/Base Coat?"
Or will I have to order from another part of the Country,to get the best product?
I would order from a supplier who makes non hydraulic lime mixes ..in either tubs or 25kg sack(1 ton bulk bag)

Is your house listed?

Thankyou for your reply/message.
I will look into the local quarry.I will enquire whether they have washed sharp sand.I think there is a Quarry at Marsden and is owned by O'Briens(Salvage company) I will keep on researching until I find the best material available.
I would order from a supplier who makes non hydraulic lime mixes ..in either tubs or 25kg sack(1 ton bulk bag)

Is your house listed?
Thankyou.I have been in touch with the suppliers of the Lime Putty.I have also been reading an excellent book called"Clay and Lime Renders" by Katy Bryce and Adam Weismann.
Period house(not listed) However, retains a lot of its original character.