Best alternative to lime ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

liam546

I own a victorian solid brick house with lime mortar and soft bricks. The inside is lime plaster.

Im completely renovating my property and I'm looking for some advice of what plaster to use in my bathroom and upstairs generally.

Akthough ive ive had rising damp issues downstairs I have no damp upstairs. I have had a quote for lime and it's just too expensive (although I realise this is best option to allow house to breathe) so I'm looking for an alternative.

Ive read about avoiding bonding at all costs on solid brick houses due to bonding sucking up all moisture. Then I've read about Hardwall but again I'm not sure as this is another gypsum based product which I'm worried will attract moisture. Lastly I've read about dri wall but here my concern that the content is 46% cement and this will potentially make my bathroom walls very cold and attract condensation as well as sealing moisture in the wall not allowing it to breathe

Any advice on what is best would be great??

You could make your own lime using hdl and sand or week 6/1/1 sand cement lime mix with fibres, I am not an expert on this but it's how I would do it ask @seanlar @superspread to name a couple

Last edited by a moderator:
Lime is the best option. You've done your homework and understand why it's the right option. Becareful not to try shortcut as it will be costly in the long run.
Where is your project?

Status
Not open for further replies.