Bedding limestone pavers in wet Limecrete

Members online

tvrulesme

Just finished excavating a floor ready for limecrete. I'm going to have 150mm compacted foamed glass, underfloor heating pipes followed by 75mm of limecrete. On top of this will be 20mm limestone pavers.

I came across this today where someone laid the pavers directly in to the limecrete.

https://limewindow.blog/2012/11/12/limecrete-floor-with-flagstones/

Seems like a great idea to me, saves on waiting for drying until floor surface goes down and also saves a little bit of head height loss.

Can anyone tell me any reason not to do it like this and wait for the slab to fully dry before laying the pavers?

1644410902241.png

Saves need of using an sbr bonding agent to stick it but better off using one anyway ain’t you with limestone to prevent discolouration imo?
May risk disturbing under floor heating if you drop one edge on?
Messier mission doing both at same?
Experience from small area needed first I reckon to call it

Saves need of using an sbr bonding agent to stick it but better off using one anyway ain’t you with limestone to prevent discolouration imo?
May risk disturbing under floor heating if you drop one edge on?
Messier mission doing both at same?
Experience from small area needed first I reckon to call it
Thanks a lot. All good points. So other than being careful as hell, nothing technically to prevent this?

Thanks a lot. All good points. So other than being careful as hell, nothing technically to prevent this?
No one on here is likely to know the answers you need. Most of them can't screed, don't lay limestone flooring for a living and won't have tried this, probably daft, method. Good luck with your quest for wisdom.

I have only laid 1 limestone floor. A local farmer built a shooting lodge, as his wife did not want the shooting mob in the farm house. The farmer ordered the limestone slabs from France as that was the best price. the slabs where all different thickness. I separated them , laying the thicker ones first, as it is easy topic the screed up then to knock the slab down.

No one on here is likely to know the answers you need. Most of them can't screed, don't lay limestone flooring for a living and won't have tried this, probably daft, method. Good luck with your quest for wisdom.
I think the key words here are "most of them". I've had excellent advice on limecrete here, mostly from @limeplastering . Probably daft it may be but looking for the reasons why not

I think the key words here are "most of them". I've had excellent advice on limecrete here, mostly from @limeplastering . Probably daft it may be but looking for the reasons why not
Bedding them in you'd have to make sure they were nice and clean as you work away, as you can't walk back on them.
Personally can't see any advantages to bedding them in unless they are really random thicknesses, which most aren't nowadays.

Bedding them in you'd have to make sure they were nice and clean as you work away, as you can't walk back on them.
Personally can't see any advantages to bedding them in unless they are really random thicknesses, which most aren't nowadays.
Thank you that makes sense. Advantages are getting the trades in for a single day (not a large area to cover) rather than having them keep coming back. There would also be a (very minor) gain in head height as you're not adding the adhesive layer for the stone. The adhesive is effectively the limecrete itself.

Definitely not 100% sold on my idea yet. Just trying to work out if the risks outweigh the benefits