Baton exposed on ceiling

Members online

DIY amateur!

Hello. New to the forum and hoping for some help if possible! We are in the process of buying a house, and in one of the rooms there are batons running below the plasterboard ceiling. Difficult one to explain but have included a picture for reference. Any ideas why this might be? Could it be that the ceiling isn't sound and was in need of support? Any thought welcome. Cheers.
IMG_20200925_170839.jpg
IMG_20200925_170855.jpg

Hello. New to the forum and hoping for some help if possible! We are in the process of buying a house, and in one of the rooms there are batons running below the plasterboard ceiling. Difficult one to explain but have included a picture for reference. Any ideas why this might be? Could it be that the ceiling isn't sound and was in need of support? Any thought welcome. Cheers. View attachment 53855View attachment 53856

shite fake beams. More like lath...look at the gaps!

There certainly not there for support at a guess the same person who chose those green carpet tiles thought they could make the place look like a 18th century cottage and failed massively :ROFLMAO:

Hi there, just spotted your post as I have found myself in the same predicament. Did you discover what it was in the end?

Hi there, just spotted your post as I have found myself in the same predicament. Did you discover what it was in the end?

Be careful, as in some older properties, asbestos panels were used with strips of wood over lapping the joints.

be aware that it may be asbestos underneath :D I know lots of properties who have had it and its because the board is asbestos