Bad plastering job?

Hit your mid-40s and your back aches so much more, when kneeling on the floor all day, doesn't it? :confused:

I'm 50-50 about edging strips.

I get that it looks cleaner when you install flooring under the skirting, but that's a pain if you're not installing the skirting after the flooring.

The other thing is that at least edging strips allow easier removal and replacement of the floor in a few years, or in the event of damage.
Already there at that age! When I put flooring down for our own bedroom, popped my back and muscles and ended up sleeping on the floor for a few days, I couldn't move. God that was painful. I said never again. Ended up doing the hallway...

With skirting, I've seen in a few bellway homes, they have been using bathroom sealant to hold skirting on, unsure how to feel about that

9CE075AC-9091-42AF-9614-C6AC7617B27A.png

GIMP-MASK?

With skirting, I've seen in a few bellway homes, they have been using bathroom sealant to hold skirting on, unsure how to feel about that

Funny you should mention that.

I've had a few conversations during the past 6 months, about how it's becoming increasingly common to install skirting with silicone, no-nails, or even adhesive PU foam!

I won't have it. I insist on screws and rawlplugs, even though the heads need 2-pack filling and sanding (if it's a stud wall, then obviously nails can be used).

Sticking skirtings on with goop just seems like another nail in the coffin of building standards, to me, but I'm sure thousands of builders and joiners would disagree with me.

Almost. Yeah not bad, but turned up at 8am, took skirtings off, screwed down a few loose boards etc and pin punched the floor board nails to tighten them up. RH alcove a bit bouncy.

Got tracksaw out and cut through boards and got them up. Floor joists a bit rotten. Replaced and MR chip board put back down to replace floor boards.

Anyway, here is a teaser for the Chrispy house diary x

View attachment 68664

That MR chipboard looks very realistic, mate! (y)

Funny you should mention that.

I've had a few conversations during the past 6 months, about how it's becoming increasingly common to install skirting with silicone, no-nails, or even adhesive PU foam!

I won't have it. I insist on screws and rawlplugs, even though the heads need 2-pack filling and sanding (if it's a stud wall, then obviously nails can be used).

Sticking skirtings on with goop just seems like another nail in the coffin of building standards, to me, but I'm sure thousands of builders and joiners would disagree with me.

I rarely use no-nails (only on my own house and lazy), but normally use screws (hate nails) and do a proper job. I'm constantly surprised at how bad traders are, one house I was fixing a door frame, top to bottom it was out by a good 2" against the side brick and they decided to pack it with newspaper. How the hell does newspaper help or work?? On another job there was quite a bit of flex in a wall (barratt), turned out the builder battened the edges but nothing in between, makes it worse using what seemed to be 9mm board.

I find a good amount of my time is fixing the "qualified tradesmen" works. I don't even charge for it as feel sorry for the homeowner.

Never heard of using PU foam - does it stick on wood?

I rarely use no-nails (only on my own house and lazy), but normally use screws (hate nails) and do a proper job. I'm constantly surprised at how bad traders are, one house I was fixing a door frame, top to bottom it was out by a good 2" against the side brick and they decided to pack it with newspaper. How the hell does newspaper help or work?? On another job there was quite a bit of flex in a wall (barratt), turned out the builder battened the edges but nothing in between, makes it worse using what seemed to be 9mm board.

I find a good amount of my time is fixing the "qualified tradesmen" works. I don't even charge for it as feel sorry for the homeowner.

Never heard of using PU foam - does it stick on wood?

Just buy a can of instastik foam...brilliant stuff. Its designed for sticking stuff and doesn’t expand as much as the usual foam fillers. Great for sticking Pb to walls, skirtings etc. Dries really quick too. I used it on that little plastering job I posted. Skimming boards half hour later.

Already there at that age! When I put flooring down for our own bedroom, popped my back and muscles and ended up sleeping on the floor for a few days, I couldn't move. God that was painful. I said never again. Ended up doing the hallway...

Joiner I know uses caulk instead now.

I do knock how much mastics etc get used but they have their place as Crispy says. I prefer to stick the skirtings, in a lot of places it's difficult to get a fixing - soft blocks or if you bang a nail in the block shatters, plus all the extra time filling and sanding and often it shows afterwards anyway.

I do knock how much mastics etc get used but they have their place as Crispy says. I prefer to stick the skirtings, in a lot of places it's difficult to get a fixing - soft blocks or if you bang a nail in the block shatters, plus all the extra time filling and sanding and often it shows afterwards anyway.

The way I look at it is that sticking skirtings on means they're only stuck as strong as the weakest link - so if you've stuck them to an emulsioned wall, then all it takes is for the paint to flake off the skim.

Or, if no paint on the wall yet, then the glued skirting is only as strong as the skim's adhesion to the PB or wall.

etc.

If you screw the bastards, then yes, you do have to fill the heads, and yes, they can slighly show, but at least the skirtings don't creep, over time, (which can crack the emulsion, all along the boundary of the top edge) and at least they will last for several decades without coming loose.

The way I look at it is that sticking skirtings on means they're only stuck as strong as the weakest link - so if you've stuck them to an emulsioned wall, then all it takes is for the paint to flake off the skim.

Or, if no paint on the wall yet, then the glued skirting is only as strong as the skim's adhesion to the PB or wall.

etc.

If you screw the bastards, then yes, you do have to fill the heads, and yes, they can slighly show, but at least the skirtings don't creep, over time, (which can crack the emulsion, all along the boundary of the top edge) and at least they will last for several decades without coming loose.

It depends it depends it depends.

I can’t remember the last time I actually fitted real wood arcs and skirting from new anyway so 99% of the time it’s mdf. I usually bond them on and fire a few pins in to keep them steady while they dry. They ain’t coming off easily in the next 10 yrs, so I couldn’t care less. If I was doing heritage work, then that’s different. Pros and cons to both ways.

etc.

That happened to me once when I was a handsome young vandal, practicing on people's houses.

I stuck the skirting on with something or other just after it had been painted. Expanding foam or gripper or something.

Didn't pan out too good for me because I had to come back and do it properly.

That happened to me once when I was a handsome young vandal, practicing on people's houses.

I stuck the skirting on with something or other just after it had been painted. Expanding foam or gripper or something.

Didn't pan out too good for me because I had to come back and do it properly.

Thanks for the in-depth knowledge share knob head.