Bad plastering job?

Members online

Stillonitt

I’m after some advice on some skim work I’ve had done in my kitchen.

Unfortunately I don’t have any photos of the plaster before it was painted however my decorator said it was one of the worst he has seen. However, I thought they would be rectified with the decorator. He also said it would take two days but actually did it in one (had a mate with him) and was still charged the price quoted…

My decorator spent two days mist coating to show imperfections, sanding, filling, you name it. However there are still some noticeable imperfections that I would say is down to the poor plaster job.

The plasterer originally blamed the decorator but since has apologised and said it was the first time this has happened, I’m not sure whether I believe that! He then agreed to come and rectify the issues but then blocked me on Facebook where we were communicating so I text him and he replied. I’m still waiting to see if he actually shows up…

My issue is of course the bad plaster work but IF he does rectify his work then I’m going to have to pay a decorator again to paint it…

Am I right in thinking it’s a bad plaster job? Can it be fixed without having to skim the whole thing again?

Attachments

• A7B17D5C-F6F5-4D1E-B895-30FB9E56573F.jpeg
    A7B17D5C-F6F5-4D1E-B895-30FB9E56573F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 724
  • 83545D9C-20AD-4DD7-80CB-99194C4BE5EE.jpeg
    83545D9C-20AD-4DD7-80CB-99194C4BE5EE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 718
  • 24A60700-EF64-4500-843B-D731A1097233.jpeg
    24A60700-EF64-4500-843B-D731A1097233.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 666
  • BED6C167-A352-4AF9-8EBA-EADFA08C0A0A.jpeg
    BED6C167-A352-4AF9-8EBA-EADFA08C0A0A.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 650
  • 132A9A25-E1B2-4763-B3C9-EC9A65909D88.jpeg
    132A9A25-E1B2-4763-B3C9-EC9A65909D88.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 595
  • 6288B568-91A2-4000-BBB3-62DE4B15B161.jpeg
    6288B568-91A2-4000-BBB3-62DE4B15B161.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 612
  • 68511345-0982-4A23-AD03-76B72C657A8D.jpeg
    68511345-0982-4A23-AD03-76B72C657A8D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 550
  • 04CB2AE2-C496-495B-AAA9-7FA8FD6BD925.jpeg
    04CB2AE2-C496-495B-AAA9-7FA8FD6BD925.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 545
  • 01C6334D-653A-45B9-BF62-F942AA464316.jpeg
    01C6334D-653A-45B9-BF62-F942AA464316.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 761

Unfortunately I don’t have any photos of the plaster before it was painted however my decorator said it was one of the worst he has seen. However, I thought they would be rectified with the decorator. He also said it would take two days but actually did it in one (had a mate with him) and was still charged the price quoted…

My decorator spent two days mist coating to show imperfections, sanding, filling, you name it. However there are still some noticeable imperfections that I would say is down to the poor plaster job.

The plasterer originally blamed the decorator but since has apologised and said it was the first time this has happened, I’m not sure whether I believe that! He then agreed to come and rectify the issues but then blocked me on Facebook where we were communicating so I text him and he replied. I’m still waiting to see if he actually shows up…

My issue is of course the bad plaster work but IF he does rectify his work then I’m going to have to pay a decorator again to paint it…

Am I right in thinking it’s a bad plaster job? Can it be fixed without having to skim the whole thing again?
It must have been bad if the decorator spent 2 days sanding and filling and still missed all that

Shoddy work from plasterer and the painter both shite

Strangely enough I fixed something similar a few weeks ago, ended up chipping fair whack away and refilling, I'm half tempted to team up with a few plasterers to do the fixing decorating after

If that's your business plan, then I can highly recommend finding plasterers on TrustaChancer.com and CheckaDismayed.com - it's where all the best worst spreads advertise (y)

If that's your business plan, then I can highly recommend finding plasterers on TrustaChancer.com and CheckaDismayed.com - it's where all the best worst spreads advertise (y)
Are you even a time served spread? Not a dig just curious never seen your work

Are you even a time served spread? Not a dig just curious never seen your work

It's OK, I don't mind you asking and I understand why you ask the question, but I've seen the pissing game many times on TPF and I choose not to get involved with that. Some people like to post pics - and some of it is lovely work - I've always admired @TonyM boarding, for example.

I should add that I just re-read what you quoted of mine, and I see that it sounded like I was having a dig at Larry.

That is not at all how I meant it:

Strangely enough I fixed something similar a few weeks ago, ended up chipping fair whack away and refilling, I'm half tempted to team up with a few plasterers to do the fixing decorating after

....so I was joking that if he wants to fix bad plastering, then he could find a fair few bad plasterers by going to such websites.

I see now how my post could be read the other way. Generally-speaking, I'm not someone who makes a habit of having nasty digs at people.

Sorry for any confusion!

It's OK, I don't mind you asking and I understand why you ask the question, but I've seen the pissing game many times on TPF and I choose not to get involved with that. Some people like to post pics - and some of it is lovely work - I've always admired @TonyM boarding, for example.

I should add that I just re-read what you quoted of mine, and I see that it sounded like I was having a dig at Larry.

....so I was joking that if he wants to fix bad plastering, then he could find a fair few bad plasterers by going to such websites.

I see now how my post could be read the other way. Generally-speaking, I'm not someone who makes a habit of having nasty digs at people.

Sorry for any confusion!

I get it. I don’t really care tbf as I’m a chancer of the trowel, but I throw the odd pic up as no problem...just talking points. Most of time I’m skimming Mrs jones bathroom ceiling as part of the refit but do the odd plastering job.

Here’s some reasonably recent pics of a job I did. Out of my working area tbf and a long day but didn’t want to go back the next so worked late.

Customer sent me pic of finished job.

C9C0C5B3-94FA-4600-84EA-0EC56F1A1E8A.jpeg
149C715C-B83B-4E6B-A9D9-850854B04D4E.jpeg
9A3FFD66-E817-4169-8877-B41307C5A1BC.jpeg
B6F3A36D-152D-4BC2-8115-B2B7FD32C17E.jpeg

I get it. I don’t really care tbf as I’m a chancer of the trowel, but I throw the odd pic up as no problem...just talking points. Most of time I’m skimming Mrs jones bathroom ceiling as part of the refit but do the odd plastering job.

Here’s some reasonably recent pics of a job I did. Out of my working area tbf and a long day but didn’t want to go back the next so worked late.

View attachment 68658View attachment 68659View attachment 68660View attachment 68661
That's beautiful workmanship

Sorry for any confusion!
I forgive you

Here’s today’s pics

That’s kind mate, but it’s just a bit of skim over plaster board. Lots of insulation went around those steel pillars and Rsj though before boarding.

Flooring today

View attachment 68663

When I've done a few bits with board I end up using the finishing stuff, seems to work better than multi for me, but that's because I've not had enough practice. For existing walls, don't use me :LOL: But, I can skim ceilings fine!

Flooring looks lovely, I did a ground floor with parquet once, poor back. Charge double. It's nice to see someone do it properly under the skirting, I can't stand these edging strips

When I've done a few bits with board I end up using the finishing stuff, seems to work better than multi for me, but that's because I've not had enough practice. For existing walls, don't use me :LOL: But, I can skim ceilings fine!

Flooring looks lovely, I did a ground floor with parquet once, poor back. Charge double. It's nice to see someone do it properly under the skirting, I can't stand these edging strips

It’s always good to paint your own skimming IMO, even if it’s once in a while. Obviously most don’t get the chance but do like to see their work painted. Bit of a sigh of relief :chica:

Hit your mid-40s and your back aches so much more, when kneeling on the floor all day, doesn't it? :confused:

I'm 50-50 about edging strips.

I get that it looks cleaner when you install flooring under the skirting, but that's a pain if you're not installing the skirting after the flooring.

The other thing is that at least edging strips allow easier removal and replacement of the floor in a few years, or in the event of damage.

Here’s today’s pics

That’s kind mate, but it’s just a bit of skim over plaster board. Lots of insulation went around those steel pillars and Rsj though before boarding.

Flooring today

View attachment 68663

Funny old world, we live in, people having nice timber floorboards and installing fake wood-effect flooring over the top!

(I get it and I've done it myself, but you have to admit it is a bit daft, in some respects)

Funny old world, we live in, people having nice timber floorboards and installing fake wood-effect flooring over the top!

(I get it and I've done it myself, but you have to admit it is a bit daft, in some respects)

Almost. Yeah not bad, but turned up at 8am, took skirtings off, screwed down a few loose boards etc and pin punched the floor board nails to tighten them up. RH alcove a bit bouncy.

Got tracksaw out and cut through boards and got them up. Floor joists a bit rotten. Replaced and MR chip board put back down to replace floor boards.

Anyway, here is a teaser for the Chrispy house diary x

B61CD7F0-2C3D-4CF6-8192-B9BC1B820301.jpeg

I cost about £800 to bring the floor back to life

floor was black :rayos:

hire industrial sander and a man for 3 days to bring it back to life

for her to buy a cheap rug :rayos: :ROFLMAO:
20220310_235704.jpg

View attachment 68658View attachment 68659View attachment 68660View attachment 68661
I see your ceiling lines remain consistent.