backing coats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flat boy skim

Private Member
hardwall,browning,or toughcoat,on high suction blocks?i have been using hardwall but when i come to skimming it just sucks the life out of the finish!!!i hate the stuff.

even tho it sounds a bit mental. if they want a skim finish, mp75 is sexual to skim over. or just prime the blocks

Are you not skimming the same day?
I'd pva the blocks if you are and the suction is too high...

Any backing usually sucks the finish, and makes it look 'bubbly' when flattening. Second coat and finish usually sorts it.
I was taught to wet the wall if it was too dry, but not so you could see surface water.

Flat Boy Skim, sounds like your just too slow.I see you live in Surrey, where abouts i know a really good spread down that way,perhaps he can give you some advise,or come up hear to Brum and i`ll help you out.

hardwall,browning,or toughcoat,on high suction blocks?i have been using hardwall but when i come to skimming it just sucks the life out of the finish!!!i hate the stuff.

is it just skimming youre used 2 how much 2 coat work. many metres of blockwork have you got

I try and use sand cement on thermos I know what you mean fbs, roll it with water before you skim it, works in you're favour sometimes though hwall on concrete block can hang like a twooper

whats all this priming about?
just wet wall, tight coat of backing coat, scratch it, second pass of backing coat, devil float it up and skim int' afternoon jobsagoodun :rolleyes)

If you Pva the day before it works twice as well as the same day usually just one 2-1 coat is good for thermos

beein a yorkshireman I cant see point of waisting money on pva or out else when good old water will do the job for ya for nowt mate :RpS_thumbup:

Any ways if you do any float and skim you should no it takes nowt to put a tight coat over everything an then second pass (takes less fillin out and v easy to run yer edge over to get it bang on. :RpS_biggrin:

I thought this thread was about moisture getting pulled into the thermo block when you're skimming not floating mr it's a spade not a shovel bloke

Well if ya slow down the suction on yer float coat itll slow suction ont finish coat. are you a tiler or summat?

Personally i prefer toughcoat as it has a higer vermiculite content and can deal with higer suction better my second choice would be browning and last hardwall,only those who done a propper Apprenticeship Will know what i mean

Last edited:
Any one ever read the back off hardwall? DO NOT APPLY TO AREAS TREATED WITH P.V.A. Wen you skim it 1st and 2nd coat straight away then a wet flatten straight away gets it under control then put another wall on same system then back to first wall kapesh.

Any one ever read the back off hardwall? DO NOT APPLY TO AREAS TREATED WITH P.V.A. Wen you skim it 1st and 2nd coat straight away then a wet flatten straight away gets it under control then put another wall on same system then back to first wall kapesh.
yes thats right ,if you pva the blocks then its not a high suction background and hardwall is for high suction!

Status
Not open for further replies.