ashlar ft

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackom

looking at doing bottom half of my house in ft and wanted to ashlar it.

what depth does it need to go on at 15mm and cut in 5mm and when do you cut it once ruled up or rubbing up time.

any help appreciated ta

Not had to do any Ashlar in Mono but I am sure on the Weber course it was put on at 20mm for ashlar?

For cutting in it's after scraping it isn't it? Would think it is a lot of faffing about after cutting in. Edges would get chipped.

Are you using the proper Ashlar tool or home made?

was going to buy a proper tool. as its on my own house wanted to do something a bit different.

when cutting it would some of it not scrape through i.e if I have to do 20mm thickness no way am I going to get that in one or even 2 passes. don't mean the actual scrape its self just when cutting.

cheers for reply

Down to timing, let it go hard and you have a problem like you would scraping back when too hard. I was presuming machine applied. Putting 20mm on by hand will be a sod, 15mm is hard enough.

Is it on new block or brick?

Sure someone will be along soon who has done it on 15mm.

You are getting into Autumn soon so the FT will be a long day set and will it be light enough?

Awkward mono in Autumn and Spring, not warm enough for same day but too warm for overnight. If it is not done by September consider a slower setting mono like Parex or Granicem. Defo then an overnighter and for me the cooler the safer time wise.

we apply ft all the time always flat though. so familiar with setting times.

it will be over a hp12 base on old brickwork.

I was thinking 15mm and cut in 5mm but don't know if that is deep enough to see the feature.

15 cut back to 10 will be fine. As said above dont let it get hard.
Maybe lay on til 10-11 start scraping around 4.
Scrape finish first then cut out

Last one we did (April) we put it on around 20mm using monorex gf, I Micro'd the 7n substrate to give it a bit more time, left overnight and was just right first light next day. I opted for a bit more thickness to give me more tolerance especially on the areas that were meshed.it cut back fine once scraped with a short pad.

Last edited:
Last one we did (April) we put it on around 20mm using monorex gf, I Micro'd the 7n substrate to give it a bit more time, left overnight and was just right first light next day. I opted for a bit more thickness to give me more tolerance especially on the areas that were meshed.it cut back fine once scraped with a short pad.

Didn't think about the mesh on the stress points! Yeh, that will be a bummer if you cut back to the mesh. :RpS_scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.