ashlar and raised quions

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

User___removed

im pricing a high spec jobs which includes around 100m2 of ashlar and approx 35lm of quoins to match.the house is approx 200m2.work to be done in sand & cement.
does anyone have a idea how much ashlar can be produced in a day.also the quoins.i would like to run in ashlar by hand with none of that pvc bead you can buy now!!!
cheers. please only reply if you have experience in this field!!!!!

im pricing a high spec jobs which includes around 100m2 of ashlar and approx 35lm of quoins to match.the house is approx 200m2.work to be done in sand & cement.
does anyone have a idea how much ashlar can be produced in a day.also the quoins.i would like to run in ashlar by hand with none of that pvc bead you can buy now!!!
Ashlar is lines produced on s+c to imitate stonework your on about rustication cut them out by hand

I have done a small amount of ashlar so just wanted to know from guys who have done a lot of it what is a average amount to complete in a day.

Ashlar can be cut next day with a stone cutting disc

It can as Autumn is here. If it just rub-upable by 4.30 it will be green enough next morning. Gibbo's idea of a stone grinding disc works as if it is a bit on the hard side the carborundum with grind through it.

Its the neatest way to do it cutting sinkings in sand and cement is what i think bobby wants to know how to do

hand cut quoin stones do take time setting out and getting the required thickness etc..allow for this in your price , i normaly do 3( big 7 meters )corners in a day and reverse the rules and do the opposites , as for the ashlar would do about 50 or 60 meters putting more on would take to long to mark out at this time of year, i like to mark mine out when its not to hard this leaves a nice defined joint using a home made tool! hope this helps regards stuy

Any man worth talking about should be fit to do 2 full corners, I definitely would not rule one side then return it,
for the ashlar there is a lot of work involved 2 good coats to get your depth for the ashlar usually we work to thickness off lath, rub up then chalk line then cut it out when it firms up, we use a 6 ft metal edge with a 45 degree cut in it with you can buy, cut it out with a pointer as it leaves a shaper finish, like I say lot of work in it so wouldn't put on anything over 40/50m unless you have the man power

Any man worth talking about should be fit to do 2 full corners, I definitely would not rule one side then return it,
for the ashlar there is a lot of work involved 2 good coats to get your depth for the ashlar usually we work to thickness off lath, rub up then chalk line then cut it out when it firms up, we use a 6 ft metal edge with a 45 degree cut in it with you can buy, cut it out with a pointer as it leaves a shaper finish, like I say lot of work in it so wouldn't put on anything over 40/50m unless you have the man power
i ment of course to return it the following day fergal regards stuy

The questions you are asking here are like " how long is a piece of string ?" . The work will take as long as it takes you as a gang. Are you fast or slow ??

I get the impression you have a limited experience with ornate rendering work. So with that in mind I would strongly recommend you over price this work to cover yourself . The most costly element will be the labour side. This work is very labour intensive.

Also just to clarify, mock ashlar markings are fine lines indented into the render to create the effect of blocks. Rustication is deep recessed grooves in the render typically any where from 8mm to 15mm in depth. These would normally be achieved using forming battens, tapered to the back edge and smeared with a release agent such as naphthenic oil.

i agree with you mark there are various ways of forming rustification work not to be confused with ashlar which we just call blocking out, having worked in germany for many years , the rustifaction works there where carried out in a much different way to us here i.e we used running moulds of various designs recessed and sculpted etc.. which was very effective , whatever the way the original poster uses he must allow extra time for setting out , but for me this type of work along with exterior weathering cornice is without doubt the most rewarding its just a shame its not used very often

Status
Not open for further replies.