Asbestos

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Degsy

Hello everyone. I am not a plasterer but have recently had a plasterer in to skim over some artex in a front lounge. Although the finished work is a of a decent standard he was actually quite expensive and quite messy. Back to the point of my post. A colleague at work has since told me that artex can have asbestos in it and that it should only be scraped or removed in exceptional circumstances. I am just asking in general what would you recommend as a "standard" procedure here. My wife has recently developed a recurrent cough, and although I am not not saying the two are connected it does worry me. Thanks

No I did not get a report prior to the work commencing. Like I said, we were not aware of the dangers until a work colleague mentioned it. I am trying to establish whether or not it is common procedure for a plasterer to make customers aware of the danger. Also, are plasterers obliged to have public liabilty insurance? I have raised my concerns with the plasterer in question and when I enquired as to whether or not he had public liabilty he said he did not and that it was not compulsory for him to have it.

It depends on how long ago the ceiling was artexed, the further back, the higher the risk of asbestos but even then its a very low percentage, by the way artex is a generic term so what you call artex may not actually be artex,lots of plasterers pva and then scape off artex if it comes off easy, it will be moist and safe enough, you haven't said how the plasterer removed or if he scraped..

I always make people aware of the risks.. I give them the options of getting it tested. Or just over skimming existing but not scraping. Age of the house does not matter as I have had ceiling found positive in properties in 2002/2005... health and safety is a big thing for me so always give full details on risks etc

I would recommend that before you ask someone to carry out
work in your property . , that it is safe to do so , you also have duty of care . When you say expensive, can you elaborate, when you say messy , again can you elaborate . Can you post pictures and detail the process

I always make people aware of the risks.. I give them the options of getting it tested. Or just over skimming existing but not scraping. Age of the house does not matter as I have had ceiling found positive in properties in 2002/2005... health and safety is a big thing for me so always give full details on risks etc
Interesting re the 2002 /2005 period ,so the houses were built at this time or were artexed at this time?

Interesting re the 2002 /2005 period ,so the houses were built at this time or were artexed at this time?

We did one that house was built in 02... problem bein the majority think nahhhh its ok its past 80's.. well no it has still being found in ceilings alot earlier than that. !!!! I also had a problem with asbestos companies not doing samples properly. They just scaped surface.. but have had 2 layers of artex.. bottom positive.. n overboarding artex. So now I get them to do a core sample..

We did one that house was built in 02... problem bein the majority think nahhhh its ok its past 80's.. well no it has still being found in ceilings alot earlier than that. !!!! I also had a problem with asbestos companies not doing samples properly. They just scaped surface.. but have had 2 layers of artex.. bottom positive.. n overboarding artex. So now I get them to do a core sample..
Good information, you cover more than the bases ,

Just down to past experience mate. Some ignore it or not aware of it.. I am the total opposite. .
Information is always king, ignorance is never a get out clause. We live in a culture of blame, the person who doesn't do their utmost to be knowledgable should stay as a number 2.

Information is always king, ignorance is never a get out clause. We live in a culture of blame, the person who doesn't do their utmost to be knowledgable should stay as a number 2.

I have gone to loads of jobs where other plasterers have just priced to rip all artex down n re board. . I have gone round. Said what I have n there in shock that no one elae has said anything like that. . First thing they think of is there health.

Hello everyone. I am not a plasterer but have recently had a plasterer in to skim over some artex in a front lounge. Although the finished work is a of a decent standard he was actually quite expensive and quite messy. Back to the point of my post. A colleague at work has since told me that artex can have asbestos in it and that it should only be scraped or removed in exceptional circumstances. I am just asking in general what would you recommend as a "standard" procedure here. My wife has recently developed a recurrent cough, and although I am not not saying the two are connected it does worry me. Thanks

Could i ask when you purchased the property ?

unfortunately there isnt a set procedure,only hearsay and rumours about asbestos in artex,i hear its such a small amount that its no problem but until the health and safety start educating trades people theres always doubts.they are quick to take money though for there safety cards.

There’sa lot of hysteria surrounding the dangers of Artex containing asbestos. Whiteasbestos is harmful, but only if you are breathing it in on a daily basis overan extended period of time .

Dida bit of reading up about the subject in various peer reviewed health journals.The following is a quick summary:

Breathingin a bit of white (Chrysotile) is not going to kill you instantly; unlike brownand blue which are very dangerous. White is unable to puncture the lungs plurallining nor does feature the microscopic ‘hooks’ which prevent the lungs fromexpelling the dust over time. Also, white, unlike brown and blue; is slightly watersoluble so any fibres that do get stuck in the lungs will eventually break downharmlessly over a period of around 9 months.

Theabove is only the result of my own personal research therefore should not betreated as gospel. Folk should not ignore the HSE safety advice such as wearingwhite overalls using a decent mask and making sure that potential asbestosmaterial is dampened down to reduce dust during removal.

Inthe case of removing Artex, if you wet it, it will go soft allowing you toscrape it off with no bother.If a paintfilm prevents the water penetrating, a quick blast with a wall paper scrabbler (weara mask) will puncture the film allowing the water through eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.