artex

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz1968

hello everybody . i am about to skim a ceiling that is artexed but there might be a problem because the artex is not painted and i do know that you can steam artex off can anybody give me a few suggestions

i personally would slap a bonding coat on it and then skim over once its firmed up but at the in this seems a while due to the weather etc, tho others will suggest a nice thick coat of multi/board then another tight coat to fnish.

how deep is ther artex? horrible mess or nice shallow swills n stuff?

hi daz..... its upto you mate i agree with the above comments... others would tell you to scrape the high spots off with floor scraper or similar and then skim..... but theres asbestos in most artex's and that alone has me running a mile!!!!!!!! ..... hope this helps ;D

its up to you what you do mate bond/skim etc i'd thistle bond it though....it'll go off alot quicker if its unpainted

Yeah. dont be tempted to steam it off - Its terribly messy, youll wish you never started - 2 coats of PVA / Bond it, let the first dry completely and then skim away, first set a bit like double cream, then top it

pristineplastering said:
Yeah. dont be tempted to steam it off - Its terribly messy, youll wish you never started - 2 coats of PVA / Bond it, let the first dry completely and then skim away, first set a bit like double cream, then top it
Spot on advice , just knock any high spots off mate

Status
Not open for further replies.