Artex

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironmonkey

Just looked at a job about, 20 sqm,Deep Artex on the ceiling.The roof had leaked and fetched down some of the Artex which had come away from the Plasterboard.Plasterboard looks intact and sound.
The way i was looking to attack it was to strip back blown Artex,pva ceiling,Hardwall over Artex,then 2 coats of multi.
Is this the way to go?Want to get the quote right.

Just looked at a job about, 20 sqm,Deep Artex on the ceiling.The roof had leaked and fetched down some of the Artex which had come away from the Plasterboard.Plasterboard looks intact and sound.
The way i was looking to attack it was to strip back blown Artex,pva ceiling,Hardwall over Artex,then 2 coats of multi.
Is this the way to go?Want to get the quote right.

bonding not hardwall

Just make sure the plasterboard is definitely ok if there was a leak. If it's caused the artex to come down then it coud've damaged the boards as well. I would use bonding if you have to, rather than hardwall to fill out with :)

Just make sure the plasterboard is definitely ok if there was a leak. If it's caused the artex to come down then it coud've damaged the boards as well. I would use bonding if you have to, rather than hardwall to fill out with :)

yeah 3 coat skim will be a bitch bond it

Thanks chaps
If i used bonding and skimmed following day,would i need to seal surface of bonding?

i think so yeah cause it would be dry so it would pull in too quick, better to slap a coat on to be safe

if i were you mate id give it two coats of 2-1 water/pva skimming the next day

i skim artex ceilings all week mate get rid of the heavy stipple by scraping with a floor scrapper you can do this from the floor, i would then apply one coat of knauf betakontakt using lambswool roller it will be dry in approx 1 hr, when you can apply a good coat of multi finish which can be flattened and followed by a further coat. in my experiences bonding is best avoided, by primarily scraping you can minimalise the weight of material hanging on what is effectively a layer of pva. i speak only from my own personal experiences as had a couple of ceilings come down using the bonding method in my early years. you'll also have job done in approx 6 hrs incuding sheeting down and clearing up good luck whichever!

Surprised no-ones suggested overboarding ?? This would erradicate any chance of more artex coming away or am I just being old fashioned ??

over board is usually when u cant go on top of whats there or is damaged

i skim artex ceilings all week mate get rid of the heavy stipple by scraping with a floor scrapper you can do this from the floor, i would then apply one coat of knauf betakontakt using lambswool roller it will be dry in approx 1 hr, when you can apply a good coat of multi finish which can be flattened and followed by a further coat. in my experiences bonding is best avoided, by primarily scraping you can minimalise the weight of material hanging on what is effectively a layer of pva. i speak only from my own personal experiences as had a couple of ceilings come down using the bonding method in my early years. you'll also have job done in approx 6 hrs incuding sheeting down and clearing up good luck whichever!
thistle bond it was designed for use with bonding coat, i reckon you were unlucky mate if you didnt put a coat of bonding over it you'd only be putting on an extra coat of multi and still adding weight to the ceiling ............

Surprised no-ones suggested overboarding ?? This would erradicate any chance of more artex coming away or am I just being old fashioned ??
Unfortunately it has coving around the perimeter

i hate coving..some times the artex is higher that the coving! .. wot iv done some times is add a few bucet trowls of bonding 2 multi 2 thicken it up and add fibers then put that coat on.. flatten it..let it go a lil bit stiff..witch dnt take long on artex..then i can add a finish coat 2 it..but every time i have 2 coated artex i allway feel its not half as good as a 3 coat finish ...in the light u can see waves ect 4 sum reason..

3rd coat just gives it such a gd finish .. just a pain 2 do 1 more set when ur on ur own and nakerd from the first 2 coats! worth it dow

i allways would price a artex celing in asa the same price as 2 board celings as i feel the 2x the work and if im 3 coating gota make it worth ya effort. ;)

[]
thistle bond it was designed for use with bonding coat, i reckon you were unlucky mate if you didnt put a coat of bonding over it you'd only be putting on an extra coat of multi and still adding weight to the ceiling ............[/quote]
actually nickesy the whole purpose of the preliminary scrape is to avoid the bonding coat full stop which as i'm sure you will realise will save you hrs and weigh a lot less, the original post stated pva not thistle bond it,which you should also know should be left 24 hrs before application of finish,hence the time saving. i'm not looking for one upmanship mate but i make a living from artex overskims and hope that after a good thousand of them i'd know what i'm talking about! however if you can complete the job in sub 6 hrs using thistle bond it,thistle bonding and 2 coats of finish you truly are a god! please forward your no if thats the case i'll give you endless work ::)

[]
thistle bond it was designed for use with bonding coat, i reckon you were unlucky mate if you didnt put a coat of bonding over it you'd only be putting on an extra coat of multi and still adding weight to the ceiling ............
actually nickesy  the whole purpose of the preliminary scrape is to avoid the bonding coat full stop which as i'm sure you will realise will save you hrs and weigh a lot less, the original post stated pva not thistle bond it,which you should also know should be left 24 hrs before application of finish,hence the time saving. i'm not looking for one upmanship mate but i make a living from artex overskims and hope that after a good thousand of them i'd know what i'm talking about! however if you can complete the job in sub 6 hrs using thistle bond it,thistle bonding and 2 coats of finish you truly are a god! please forward your no if thats the case i'll give you endless work ::)[/quote]
ok fair enough but all i read of the posts were the artex is deep you said use betokontact and dont use bonding because it adds more weight to the ceiling?

Over skimming artex has been a sketchy subject for years it can go absolutely perfect or completely tits up depending on the job :-X personally i would over board every time if not overboard take down the original ceiling then reboard its a better job all round.

if youre a good salesman and the customer wants a plasterboard finish then were all happy :D

That seems a bit steep for an over board we can do an over board on a 12m2 ceiling for less than £300 supply. We do over skim ceilings but only when we have told the customer of the risks and if they are willing to take the risk then we go ahead with it but we still assess the ceiling before we go ahead with it. What i find with over skim of artex it got a bad habbit of shinking back especially on fan type patterns and even on light stipples unless you scrape them back you always seem to get bits poking through so a tight coat of bonding is usually our course of action the only time we usually pva or gypbond them are if they are porus. A artex ceiling got a great key for plaster to adhere to so the only reason you need to pva or put gypbond onto the ceiling is for suction.

i find if you knock the first coat up a bit stiffer and lay it on a bit thicker it doesn't show thru or shrink back as much

I personally would let the first coat go right off but the other spread i work with is the most impatient person in the world and wants to get straight on it :eek: so thats why i have started making us bond it with a tight coat he cant skim it then until the bonding starts to set and if its only a small job bond it the day before ;)

i sometimes bond a slight stipple aswell if the first coat doesnt go off enough both coats shrink back together and you end up with a horrible fatty/dimply finish

please tell me your joking about cement in the bonding! it just kills it it! and as for being to expensive on the overboard, iwas quoting the expensive rip down,board and skim,which in my oppinion is fairly reasonable! :cool:

Bonding,s lighter per volume than multi anyway, had my fair share of artex to skim over and no way except overboarding makes me relax.

Couple of times have removed coving carefully to limit damage to walls, boarded over with 12.5 and the re-coved, turns out ok if walls are sound.

Over skimming artex has been a sketchy subject for years it can go absolutely perfect or completely tits up depending on the job :-X personally i would over board every time if not overboard take down the original ceiling then reboard its a better job all round.

u may as well skim bond it rather than pull it down and re hang a new ceiling :)

But thats why its always so contentous, Ive had artex ceilings with 20 years of emulsion and tobacco smoke!! Bondit has still got to hang on to that lot :eek: Tis good bondit tho and do use it on artex now and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.