Artex overskim

• Thread starter Deleted member 32554
  • Start date

Members online

D

Deleted member 32554

Hi,
I give my customers 2 options...
1 scrape , PVA 4:1 , PVA 2:1 , skim 2 or 3 coats MF ( assuming no bonding )
2 scrape , PVA 4:1 , PVA 2:1 skim 1 or 2 coats MF then return in 2/3 days PVA 4:1 , PVA 2:1 , 2 coats MF.
It depends on the conditions , the choice is there's , a 25 m2 ceiling would cost them about £100 or £130 for option 2
Might make you smile , any comments , about technique as I already know I'm mad

Overboard or grit it are other options.

Tight coat bonding or Zombie mix if it needs it depending on texture then skim. Why would you want to be going back again? Your pricing is also way out.

Overboard or grit it are other options.

Tight coat bonding or Zombie mix if it needs it depending on texture then skim. Why would you want to be going back again? Your pricing is also way out.
What's a zombie mix, use double skim method for a few reasons..
Have experienced artex delaminating with lots of moisture and pressure of trowelling up ( possibly artex on dirty surfaces ) , so just aim to flatten off the dips and tape any cracks ( boards re tightend with screws , nails worked loose).takes an hour to skim this. Return visit I have an easy overskim of consistent thickness . no inconsistent drying patches and believe the thin sandwich of skim and PVA to be more stable to a ceiling , not as important with upstairs as loft not usually under same weight and foot traffic. So there are many factors to choosing this option , if over skimming a house in very poor condition but basically flat and perhaps different suction surfaces ( eg kitchen , behind cupboards bare plaster , above removed tiles , then washable paint above that . I don't travel so a return visit is no problem to me , and in many cases I will have other rooms to get on with . never used blue grit ( or whatever colour , have thrown sharp sand on PVA a couple of times)

Also anything over 25 M2 I always use that method

This is a wind up, right? Gps fake profile??
Not a wind up, what's GPS and what's a zombie mix . Haven't worked with any other plasterers on this type of domestic work , assumed it would raise some eyebrows, the double skim approach works good for me, not one complaint ever in 25 years, one day I may tell you my alternative approach to dry lining and boarding cielings but let's stick to over skim artex , assume you grit and wack it on and have never had anything go wrong?

Not a wind up, what's GPS and what's a zombie mix . Haven't worked with any other plasterers on this type of domestic work , assumed it would raise some eyebrows, the double skim approach works good for me, not one complaint ever in 25 years, one day I may tell you my alternative approach to dry lining and boarding cielings but let's stick to over skim artex , assume you grit and wack it on and have never had anything go wrong?

I never grit, far to busy. 2 visits for 1 gauge no thanks .

I take peaks off. Pva. Mix up. Skim.

If really dense i'll bring it up with a bonding and multi mix (they call that a zombie mix on here) then skim

Never had issues and dealt with all the different artex.

What threw me was you giving customer pva options like they're at a cocktail bar. Customer don't want options and confusion they just want their artex ceiling flat same as mrs's jones next door

I never grit, far to busy. 2 visits for 1 gauge no thanks .

I take peaks off. Pva. Mix up. Skim.

If really dense i'll bring it up with a bonding and multi mix (they call that a zombie mix on here) then skim

Never had issues and dealt with all the different artex.

What threw me was you giving customer pva options like they're at a cocktail bar. Customer don't want options and confusion they just want their artex ceiling flat same as mrs's jones next door
Never had artex come loose and sag , usually caused by adding lots of moisture and delaminating , then the bubble works it's way across with trowelling , usually artex been applied to dirty surface , not common but have had on more than one occasion , also happens with vynil paint on walls that have been shined to perfection

Yeah had that few times can see it a mile away though. Still pva it let it soak N peeks off in sheets hardly any mess n takes 10 mins.

Love when get that, nice flat ceiling to skim

You are way to cheap, don’t you charge for covering up? 25 metres or not it still deserves a full days money.
Don't disagree, always poor but enjoy my work , I always ask the customer to remove everything I don't want the responsibility, most cases they're redecorating and this isn't an issue , i charge £18/ HR if they want me to clean , move furniture etc it's still that , most cases the house or room,s are empty. The double skim is there choice I can only advise when necessary , apart from the delay for drying ( usually I work on other rooms in-between ) it's not a lot of extra time , first skim is put on to level and only troweled once, that's all

I get all that but if someone calls you in to skim a 25 metre ceiling over artex, you need a days money for it and I think you are not charging enough, when I said covering up I meant their carpets not their furniture unless it can’t be moved

Don't disagree, always poor but enjoy my work , I always ask the customer to remove everything I don't want the responsibility, most cases they're redecorating and this isn't an issue , i charge £18/ HR if they want me to clean , move furniture etc it's still that , most cases the house or room,s are empty. The double skim is there choice I can only advise when necessary , apart from the delay for drying ( usually I work on other rooms in-between ) it's not a lot of extra time , first skim is put on to level and only troweled once, that's all

Is it just plastering you do?

Is it just plastering you do?
Only plastering for money, always got family and friends building work projects on the go , work occasionally for a builder he dot and dabs etc gutted houses, usually 2 houses a year , I may also dry line for him , the rest is local friends of friends etc , have no problems putting on 40 M2 cielings even now ( 56 years ) don't think I could cope with all new work , find it slightly boring prefer to think I'm getting paid to go to the gym ,

I get all that but if someone calls you in to skim a 25 metre ceiling over artex, you need a days money for it and I think you are not charging enough, when I said covering up I meant their carpets not their furniture unless it can’t be moved
Yes may sheet the carpets if staying , hardly 10 mins