Artex ceiling peeling off

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorto

Plastering my house house. At min and came across very thin artex stipple ceiling . In past I skimmed one and started peeling off .done everything I was supposed todo but that happened . I reboarded an skimmed it but was heartbroken as i lost out really. Came across same **** in my house I just got but took no chance an boarded it . Just wanted to know anyone else experienced it an wag was the cause . Thanks

I always use a bonding agent when skimming over artex, best one Ive found is wickes own brand (w.b.a.).gives a brill key for the plaster and slows the set a little (bit more time if you need it).Its a bit pricey,£ 17 a tub and that'll do 10m2, but Ive done loads of overskim on artex and never had any problems.

It tends to peel when the artex hasn't been painted or sealed and the moisture of the pva reactivates the artex

The bonding agents will not stop artex peeling , you have either got to remove all loose artex first or overboard ,you need a sound surface for bonding agents or PVa bond to

Done hundreds ceiling an always done same process but these two times it turned bandit on me ha.

Some times the pva or bonding agent loosens up bad artex and if you don't notice and skim it the plaster will peel off with the artex. To avoid, make sure the artex feels solid when pva'd. If not you'll have to scrape off all the loose stuff and re pva. If the artex has a poor bond with the ceiling, bonding agent won't help, it's got to come off.

Distemper under the artex. Iv not had artex come away from the ceiling for any other reason.
I seal the artex with a stabilising solution if I think its got that shat under it and iv not had any problems but then I wouldn't know if it would havr failed anyway.

Never had it with artex , had paint peel off before in circles etc like 20cm wide .... Was a ******* , neighbour didnt want to pay for there kitchen diner boarded , all because plasterer across the road said he could just skim it , probably fell off by now they wouldnt tell me i know for a fact lol i was adament it needed boarded , patched up the peices that peeled ....

I use a old mono scratcher on the artex works a treat in finding the loose and takes the high spots away then pva then skim as normal never had a problem

maybe the artex was not well adhered to the original substrate. with the weight of the finish may have pulled it away ??

I would recommend artex sealer if i knew what is was for......................:RpS_confused:

Just happened to me I hate artex with a passion all because some idots fint do there job right in the first place wouldn't Av a prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.