Art student + shed + plaster = HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nancy

Hey,

I am a final year art student, and perhaps given myself a rather hard task.

Plastering is obviously incredibly high skill, and i would like a bit of knowledge from people who actually know what they are talking about.

I am attempting to create a perfectly smooth surface inside a shed. I wish to follow the shape of the slats inside the shed, and to use plaster and emulsion, to get a perfect finish. I would like to avoid using chicken wire as a help for bonding, as it would ruin the shape of the slats. I know from various other things i have read, that it may be difficult as the wood isnt a good bond, but it is rather rough and splitery wood, and i thought that would be ok. But perhaps not?

Would Uni Bond, on the inside walls, or mixed in with the plaster help keep it from cracking and falling off. Or is my only chance chicken wire?

I really appreciate any advice you wish to share.

Nancy (a poor helpless (stupid) art student))

as above, unless we see pics Nancy, of the shed that is, my poor student, the old master I am not worthy was not wasted on you at school..

Hey,

I am a final year art student, and perhaps given myself a rather hard task.

Plastering is obviously incredibly high skill, and i would like a bit of knowledge from people who actually know what they are talking about.

I am attempting to create a perfectly smooth surface inside a shed. I wish to follow the shape of the slats inside the shed, and to use plaster and emulsion, to get a perfect finish. I would like to avoid using chicken wire as a help for bonding, as it would ruin the shape of the slats. I know from various other things i have read, that it may be difficult as the wood isnt a good bond, but it is rather rough and splitery wood, and i thought that would be ok. But perhaps not?

Would Uni Bond, on the inside walls, or mixed in with the plaster help keep it from cracking and falling off. Or is my only chance chicken wire?

I really appreciate any advice you wish to share.

Nancy (a poor helpless (stupid) art student))
Send some pictures ,i sure there are many members on here that will give you good advice and help ,best of luck

You mention you want to achieve a perfect finish with plaster and emulsion, but have you considered that you may not be able to achieve the desired outcome based on your inexperience? :)

Tell us where you are and somebody might even offer to come and help you achieve your plastered shed. It's not difficult when you know how but really tricky if you don't

Should this be in a 'shed of the week' forum? Next it will be '..how to install a sauna and have drunken orgies with fellow art students'. I know what you get up to, I was a student at an art college for a few years. :RpS_thumbup:

imgur: the simple image sharer here are the images, i dont want to lose the slat detail on the shed, so plasterboard wouldnt be an option. haha alas im not a drinker, but im sure some students probably have fun like that.

yes i thought that , but we have to try :)

Nancy (feeling way out of her depth)

Due to the nature of the timber that shed is made of your chances of applying a smooth plaster finish and that plaster finish still being in place when you move the work to it's final viewing site will be nigh on impossible. As soon as you yry to move it any plaster you apply will start to crack and more than likely fall off. If i were you i would be looking for alternative materials to linr the shed with.

hmmm maybe you could disassemble the shed and paint the slats with bondit and skim them. Then stick it back together?

Why do you want to plaster a shed? I know its for art but what is it meant to represent. If we could understand your thought process then maybe we can offer an alternative method .

Status
Not open for further replies.