are you happy as a plasterer? thinking of changing from electrician.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsnoopy

hi, everyone this is my first post, i,m a qualified electrician and i hate my job, i want to relocate to italy as my son lives there, i prefer to be self employed but they refuse to recognise my qualifications, as electrician is a restricted trade in italy, so as i hate it i dont see the point in retraining to do someting i dont like.
i have a few questions and would appreciate any insight anyone can give.

1.) do you like your job? do you get satisfaction from it? or is it just a means to an end?

2.) how long does it take to learn this skill? iv,e been looking at a 10 day golden trowel course that says you can turn out professional quality jobs after this training, but that you will be alot slower than an experienced plasterer, is this realistic? if so how long does it take to attain a good speed months,years?

3.) is it a good idea to combine plastering with tiling?

4.) whats the general consensus of machine plastering?

thanks for reading

1: I love what I do, I get massive satisfaction pricing jobs and doing quality work

2: In my opinion the 10 day course is for the diyer, it takes years to pick up the skill to do a good job in all situations, in fact I and most people on here are still learning after many years in the trade.

3:Yes its a good idea,more strings to your bow.

4:Machine plastering is excellent if you can get the work with the required metres.

Rich :)

agree with rich although have to admit after 30 years i am a bit cured and if i could have my time again not sure what i would do but it has got me around the world

hate it mate 90% of my works skimming ......when you start you cant stop for 3 hours get into drylining or tape jointing its cleaner too

If your relocating to Itlay better off learning to tile mate.They often dont skim ceilings there they tile em.
Tiles every where you look.Plastering in the heat out there would be a nightmare and how its done here is totally different to abroad TOTTALy DIFFERENT.
Marble plastering/ venetian plastering could be usefull in Itlay though and is quite easy to do, so thats also worth considering.
Tree felling is an option also,i know there chopping a lot of forest down becuse of the recent forest fires and dont have enough qualifed fellers to do it.

spunkybum said:
hate it mate 90% of my works skimming ......when you start you cant stop for 3 hours get into drylining or tape jointing its cleaner too
thats just site work .......do a days work and add 3 hours when you work in someones house..cleaning up etc .........its shite mate

skimmin2day said:
Spunk you last few posts .....i can feel tension son.
Are you getting plenty mate ????
its the truth and you all know it!

hey i love it , and i tough you said it was your first post you have sent 2 theres a counter by your name , haha

richardbrown said:
1: I love what I do, I get massive satisfaction pricing jobs and doing quality work

2: In my opinion the 10 day course is for the diyer, it takes years to pick up the skill to do a good job in all situations, in fact I and most people on here are still learning after many years in the trade.

3:Yes its a good idea,more strings to your bow.

4:Machine plastering is excellent if you can get the work with the required metres.

Rich :)

thanks rich good info kinda thought that the answer would be that it takes ages to get good.

skimmin2day said:
If your relocating to Itlay better off learning to tile mate.They often dont skim ceilings there they tile em.
Tiles every where you look.Plastering in the heat out there would be a nightmare and how its done here is totally different to abroad TOTTALy DIFFERENT.
Marble plastering/ venetian plastering could be usefull in Itlay though and is quite easy to do, so thats also worth considering.
Tree felling is an option also,i know there chopping a lot of forest down becuse of the recent forest fires and dont have enough qualifed fellers to do it.

cheers skimmin, lived in italy for 4 years never seen a tiled ceiling, but they do tend to tile almost all floors as they consider carpets to be dirty so its either tiles or wood, what is marble plastering/venetian plastering? never heard of it, the walls of my last apartment that was a new build were definatley not "english quality" was quite uneven in shadowed light and grainy to touch, just presumed it was machine plastered and that they were not very good at it.

hollybank said:
Love the job stick to your wires mate if you did this job you would go and tell your mum ;D ;D ;D

stick to my wires , i hate the job get no satisfaction from it and no cash either, most peeps think sparkies are well paid
i,m jib approved served 4 years time and over 20 years exp the jib rate is just over £13 /hour so after tax on a 40 hour week i take home about £380 i,m sure many of you on here can make that on a good day, not an average day but a good day sparkin is sh1te m8.

i make 280 a day..............................................errr once ;D

hollybank said:
£380 We dont make that in the current climate ???

ok but i,m sure you make alot more than that in a week, had the front room plastered a year back excluding the ceiling but with a bay window and decent sized fireplace cost £450 took the guy a day and a half and i,d guess about £35 in materials, so if youv,e got a decent work diary i can,t see £380 a week being too hard to beat. although cash is not my only motivation id gladly earn a bit less for a job i enjoyed that gives me satisfaction.

itll take at least 2-3 years to be able to earn 300 a week ........and im being generous

mrsnoopy said:
hollybank said:
£380 We dont make that in the current climate ???

ok but i,m sure you make alot more than that in a week, had the front room plastered a year back excluding the ceiling but with a bay window and decent sized fireplace cost £450 took the guy a day and a half and i,d guess about £35 in materials, so if youv,e got a decent work diary i can,t see £380 a week being too hard to beat. although cash is not my only motivation id gladly earn a bit less for a job i enjoyed that gives me satisfaction.
you was robbed ;D ;D ;D

i tell them to tuck their tails in or i fill their boxes....u fill one in and they never leave their tails out again..

i know what you mean phippsy, did a kitchen last week, sparks had been before to add new sockets etc etc, some of the tails were 2ft long so did as you and filled the buggers with plaster ;D get in.

mrsnoopy - stick to being a sparks mate, u must be mad to wanna change to this.

F**K EM!

20052009_001.jpg

does anybody else think an 'electrician' signing up on a plasterers forum and asking 'are you happy in your job', 'plasterers make loadsamoney' etc etc etc might be considered 'a deliberate attempt to upset or annoy members'?
feeding the trolls....
they love it dont they....

i never fill boxes always leave as neat as possible i just cut those wires that small they can barely splyce em, i just love listening to em moan i then say i dont know who did it but i bet it would stop if wires were neatly curled and tucked into box

i must admit to filling the odd electricians box.if you ever get to brighton i would happley take you with me for the day just see if its your thing. ::) :-*

Status
Not open for further replies.