Are things getting worse all over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't agree more malc, I could walk back onto site first thing Monday morning for £1.60 £2.00 pm2 but I'd be walking off a dinner spitting dummy out over water/power/materials/h&s, the system of price work works well on an organised site with a good Forman, unfortunately most of the time they don't care whether you make a crust or not.

Iv seen grown men squaring up to each other in site car parks over a 25m2 wall, iv also taped a wall up and beaded, gone for a brew, come back to find a polish guy skimming the area I just prepped.

Happy days

It's not that bad, you get out what you put in.

I think the attraction to plastering was you didn't need much tackle to start offering re-skims.

Estate car
Cheap whisk
Hardboard & trowel
Few cheap buckets and brushes, sheets ect ect

I think that's what dragged people into the trade, I mean its not hard to learn how to re skim a wall and leave a half decent finish, look at hillside.

I think to make a decent living out of it you have to learn all aspects rendering, coving, all plastering not just skimming.

Decent van
Decent tools
Good advertisement/website/business cards/workwear/signage
Proper overheads
Qualifications

As above plus:
lots of children to claim tax credits, rented house paid for by the social to cover the weeks you are not working.

but do you only do site work? direct or subbie?
my gang has not done site work for years. to much aggro, to much risk with payments,and i do not like stoppages.
my other sons gangs, and my brothers gang still do site work, they make a good living but have to work hard.
i only do site work malc

Arti to get a job with the national parks just repairing fences and paths etc they require you to have a minimun HNC in country side conservation which is only a kick up the jacksy off a degree and for that they pay about 18k per year !

crazy aint it

i only do site work malc

if i wanted site work in your neck of the woods, i would have a look at cambridge.
there is an advert, quite regularly in my local paper the east anglian daily times, for plastering teams in cambridge. i do not know the rates as i do not follow them up.
cambridge has always been a busy city, in slack times it can draw labour from north london, in busy times they cannot get anyone.

if i wanted site work in your neck of the woods, i would have a look at cambridge.
there is an advert, quite regularly in my local paper the east anglian daily times, for plastering teams in cambridge. i do not know the rates as i do not follow them up.
cambridge has always been a busy city, in slack times it can draw labour from north london, in busy times they cannot get anyone.

If I lived where you do Gary I'd deffo prefer to work in Cambridge than in London.

Worked for my dads firm whilst studying and served few years with some spreads and got my quals after I came out of uni - couldn't get a job so decided to set up plastering rather than go on the dole or claim...

yeah is time maybe to get out ... 30 now so I need to sort asap, like you say need too before its too late - although finding something that pays as well as plastering is the only downside to me now

Fair play sounds like me

@Gibbo theres a firm from peterboro that do a lot of work around cambridge and bedford sjs plastering 01733313588 maybe worth a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Gibbo no worries, also you could try jmc drywall who have work in suffolk and essex 07715024386 or office 01621810293

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.