Are things getting worse all over?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

tam

I thought things had bottomed out as far as prices went last year but I was wrong. We have done a lot of work for a local company who have been good to us. We priced a few jobs for them at the start of last year but did not get them. Then they had a big job coming up in the summer of last year which they asked us to price. I asked the QS over the jobs what about the last jobs we priced to which he said they got them done for 10 to 15% less than our quote. I said that was very keen and he asked us to try this 1 job for that rate or we wouldn't be getting it. So we said we would give it a go as we hadn't much else in the pipe line. We worked very hard at the job and kept a count of the wages and fuel and days worked at it. In the end we just had an average weeks wage from it. We priced another big job for them about a month ago at the same rate to hold us over in the hope things might pick up. We didn't get it as another gang is dong it for 10% less!!!!!!!!! Is it getting worse where you are?

I think im pretty lucky mate, i subbie for what seems to be a dying breed, a man with integrity hes kept his prices as high as he can, not once in the last 5 or 6 years as he tried taking the pi55, if he can squeeze abit extra out of a job he'll always weigh us out with a bit, and in return all he asks is a tidy finish. When i come on here and read about some of the rates being paid at the minute it makes me savage, any coont who has the neck to offer a craftsmen 2quid a mtr should be staked out naked in the desert:RpS_cursing:

At 47 ,and dare I mention (knee problems) I will only do what suits me, other than my own work I will only do day work at good rates, not bothered with prices unless its a properly organised job where I can a b c it.

Thats good to hear Scottie, nice to know there are still some good contractors out there. Quality is out the window here, cheapest gets it every time!

Thats good to hear Scottie, nice to know there are still some good contractors out there. Quality is out the window here, cheapest gets it every time!
What areas or is it all over Ireland, thought everyone went to oz and CanadaCanada

What areas or is it all over Ireland, thought everyone went to oz and CanadaCanada
Its outside Belfast John. To be honest it has left me thinking of heading away myself. Half the young lads in the village im from are in oz which is a pity.

Its outside Belfast John. To be honest it has left me thinking of heading away myself. Half the young lads in the village im from are in oz which is a pity.
Its a shame really, things were so damn rosy for a while. I work on and off for a Belfast buy to let man,

I priced an outside job a coupe of weeks ago at 5500 labour only , yer man liked work I had done and had more or less given me the job . He rang on saturday to say a lad dropped in and offered to do the job for 3500 . He offered to throw the load of sand in for that price aswell if he got the job FFS !!!

I priced an outside job a coupe of weeks ago at 5500 labour only , yer man liked work I had done and had more or less given me the job . He rang on saturday to say a lad dropped in and offered to do the job for 3500 . He offered to throw the load of sand in for that price aswell if he got the job FFS !!!
Wonder will the quality be there.

What do you say to that like!!!

Time to either walk or talk...........Ask the punter if he likes this other blokes work :RpS_thumbup:

Im constantly entering into a dutch auction where the builders get my quote and put it to others to beat, he then shows me these other quotes, which are worded exactly like mine but with just slightly lower figures!

Im constantly entering into a dutch auction where the builders get my quote and put it to others to beat, he then shows me these other quotes, which are worded exactly like mine but with just slightly lower figures!

i was told that we had some work, then got a phone call to say that they had found someone who has beaten my quote. but they still want me to do some rendering and screeding next week on another job. i shall let them down at the last minute.

Im getting that all the time, really :RpS_cursing: me off. I spend time pricing jobs up to be told that they have given the job to the other guy as was quite a few pounds cheaper! I'm pricing the jobs low to make sure I get the work but honestly won't sell my sole! I do chuckle when the painter then tells me he had to spend days making good the walls before he could start to paint!

Cutting corners never works!

Things have got to change!

Got offered a labour only job last week in Warrington, Skim only was £ 1.80 m2, Dabbing was £ 1.40 m2, Board to ceiling and studs £ 1.20 m2. He had the cheek to say I could have as many houses as I want. Can earn more on domestics [ but hate it ]

Got offered a labour only job last week in Warrington, Skim only was £ 1.80 m2, Dabbing was £ 1.40 m2, Board to ceiling and studs £ 1.20 m2. He had the cheek to say I could have as many houses as I want. Can earn more on domestics [ but hate it ]
Thats shocking mate im honestly stunned, there are some mercenary coonts about i just hope that when or if things pick up everyone remembers these bandits and steers well clear, leaving them right in the shite,

Thats a joke you could earn more on the dole than that!

Most people don't care anymore about quality. Cost is king. A guy on a job today said he had 5 separate plasterers in his house before he had one that left a decent job. Too many T***s picking up trowel and charging sweetie money.

I think the general public need to realise what they are getting and that they should not be always looking for the cheapest quote....

It was the same in the boom though I didnt tend to drop prices... but trades are getting desperate and the general public knows this and are taking advantage!!!!

Danny

I think the general public need to realise what they are getting and that they should not be always looking for the cheapest quote....

It was the same in the boom though I didnt tend to drop prices... but trades are getting desperate and the general public knows this and are taking advantage!!!!

Danny
Just something for those having worked priced at the minute to think about, and thats "If you think the professionals are expensive you just wait and see how much the wrong amateur could cost you".

Well at least they let you know that you haven't got the job malc... The past two months I've had nothing but timewasterers.... But you have to speculate to accumulate.

even at £1.50m2 if it was constant work you could earn £120 a day £600 a week for 5 days theres worse paying jobs.

im not saying this price is right im just saying if its non stop work it cud be worse.

Well perhaps a little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing, but 80m2 a day for £120 a shift doesnt seem right to me, when we all know within a little what the contractor is charging the client a sq metre.

Yeah such a shame i bet they wish they were back home

Well perhaps a little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing, but 80m2 a day for £120 a shift doesnt seem right to me, when we all know within a little what the contractor is charging the client a sq metre.
400 m2 a week is some going, and without a labourer:RpS_scared: 40/50 bags mixed...The contractor makes £2,780 less £160 Mats and the hard working plasterer just £600..
:RpS_laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.