Are things getting busier for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the last few weeks i have been getting a great deal of emails and plasterers telling me that they are flat out busy.

I have also jumped on the tools for a bit to help some of my old builder friends because they are getting busy....

Are you getting busier?

Asked the same question on Facebook and a mojority said they were busy which is great news for them.... a couple did say they were quiet....

The other thing is are those who are quiet is 7t because they are not advertising or are just some parts of the uk are just generally quiet?

Be interesting to hear your thoughts...

Danny

Ps make sure you like us on facebook.... http://www.facebook.com/plasterersforum

Well i am busy with a 3 bed house re-furb at min just finished work on a 300yr old farm house and they want me back there to tile have a big 4 bed detached to start shortly and a 3 bed detached after that, have passed the screeding work in both to some one else cos i do not have the time to do it also got to try and fit in rendering a bungalow and the gable of another big farm house so all in all cannot complain.

Yes busy, so much so I am going to have to take the rest of the week off of site work.. 2 full house refurbs soon, a new office extention, new build office also in the works, would seem that my builders are getting busier and better jobs..

I have 5 houses/customers that are slowly working their way though refurbishing their houses, so that's a nice chunk of work that will hopefully see me into early next years, throw in the insurance work/rendering/joe bloggs bedroom re skim, an I should be ok for a while.

Danny I did get your email, I will be in touch later this week buddy.

I have 5 houses/customers that are slowly working their way though refurbishing their houses, so that's a nice chunk of work that will hopefully see me into early next years, throw in the insurance work/rendering/joe bloggs bedroom re skim, an I should be ok for a while.

Danny I did get your email, I will be in touch later this week buddy.

Yeah thats fine :) Things have been manic here but it will be coming to an end soon enough :)

Im doing canny, not knee deep but its steady. Stacking up render jobs with this unpredictable weather though........:rolleyes)

Who are your builders Ben? Might know them.

Who are your builders Ben? Might know them.

The same ones as last time bud, J & K Constuction, the Constuction Quarter, intoto Kitchens, also doing a little one for Ste Rigby, haven't you done a bit for him? If so what's he like for paying? Never done anything for him before, went to have a look last night I said need rad off wallpaper stripped etc etc and seemed like a yes man as in fck all will be ready by Wednesday lol

not two busy me self jobs here and there but have been sub contracting for a few pple as there stacked so a think things may be slowly stacking up

The same ones as last time bud, J & K Constuction, the Constuction Quarter, intoto Kitchens, also doing a little one for Ste Rigby, haven't you done a bit for him? If so what's he like for paying? Never done anything for him before, went to have a look last night I said need rad off wallpaper stripped etc etc and seemed like a yes man as in fck all will be ready by Wednesday lol

Is that them with the white trannies with a blue square saying Rigby in white writing?

You'll have to jack the site work with all your other stuff marra. Can't be in two places at once :-D

Always busy, last few months have been non stop, trying to keep everyone happy. I even dragged my Dad out of retirement yesterday, had him spraying and ruling, that was a shock to the system after 18 years off the tools! Unfortunately for him, he hasn't lost it.

Nope been quiet for months now, and gonna have to go back working for ny mates firm this week for a bit on site.....Have to renew my CSCS now lol

Is that them with the white trannies with a blue square saying Rigby in white writing?

Same family, difference company's, Rigby electrical in blue etc are the biggest they have huge contracts all over the country..

been stretching myself for a while now :(

work is defo on the up I think. but its the same old problem feast or famine. you have either no work to go to or you are trying to juggle a lot of tetchy customers. long live the building trade.

Im keeping going as always. Tend to have a couple of weeks ahead all the time. Looked a bit bleak as id had a couple of jobs cancelled because they couldn't wait with the baby situation. Hasnt fazed me and im back to a couple of weeks again

ticking over , sometimes think nothing on next week then phone rings and off again, currently on a full reskim of a good size terraced house, just finished 6 ceilings in one house, and next job every wall and ceiling is artexed ,customer wants it all replastered, say what you like about artex and I hate the stuff but it does provide work for plasterers , long may it be covered, but still think the good times have gone never to return, well had to get that in lads, my hector moment as my pal bubbles down the road says, brilliant bubbles

Hopefully artex will come back and then there will be more reskims in the future...lol

Strong believer in every cloud has a silver lining :)

Danny

were all working on that job youve been doin dan the customer says its like artex and she asked for smooth:RpS_unsure: did you have spanky help you:RpS_confused:

Very quiet for me again, no phone calls in couple of weeks, but luckily kept busy through other tradesmen, plastering and fitting a kitchen over the next 2/3 weeks that's keeping me busy. What did that guy say about only sticking to one trade? Oh yeh.. Id be sat at home twiddling my fingers and wanking if that was the case. Or at best, getting paid labourers rates just to help out.

Didn't say stick to one trade ..... theres doin other bits and then theres turning into a kitchen fitter

If a plasterer came to fit my kitchen he'd be finished within 5 mins - fact ..... and I doubt anyone else here would have a plasterer fitting there kitchen .... butt and scribe work tops do you freerider ? o wait bet its those shitty metal jointing strips :RpS_thumbsup:

Been flat out since January only had a couple of weekends off booked up for next couple of months..getting machine and another van on the road soon.

Things have definitely picked up getting on average 4 calls a day, mainly for rendering...don't bother with the internal stuff too many people fighting over it and working for peanuts.

Didn't say stick to one trade ..... theres doin other bits and then theres turning into a kitchen fitter

If a plasterer came to fit my kitchen he'd be finished within 5 mins - fact ..... and I doubt anyone else here would have a plasterer fitting there kitchen .... butt and scribe work tops do you freerider ? o wait bet its those shitty metal jointing strips :RpS_thumbsup:

You really think that? mate you obviously havn't got a clue how to use a set of tools if you can't turn your hand to other things, are you saying the same of tiling? if a plasterer turned up to do your tiling you would boot him off the job? Can't believe you genuinely have this attitude!

I know I'm not the only guy on here that can turn their hand to other things successfully! I will say this though, other trades turning their hand to plastering successfully is very very rare.

Don't get me wrong, I don't personally have a router or jig/template to fit work tops, and I wouldn't do the electrics and plumbing when fitting a kitchen, but I never said I take the jobs on myself from start to finish, I said I have the necessary skills though in plastering, carpentry and tiling that is enough to keep me busy!

No certainly not saying tiling, I was taught by a spread who tiled as well and offer tiling myself.

I don't have an attitude nor am I taking a pop at you by any means. I'm more saying there's people who can do other trades well but there's also those that to get work say they can do other trades but in reality the standards aren't up to that said trade... that's what annoys me just like you said people turning to plastering aren't normally successful and I agree

And to be honest my old mans a joiner 45 years + and from being a youth I worked many a summer for him on top end stuff ... I could offer joinery in my services but for me id rather do Plastering/Tiling as standard in what I know best. So again im not slating you just id rather stick to 1/2 trades rather than turn to another trade and risk any pitfalls, 1 mistake and it not only affects joinery but your plastering rep.

I think we are kind of on the same page mate and do agree.. I am similar to you, I learn all I know through working with my old man on the job, fitting kitchens n bathrooms and general building work, without that, I would only know how to plaster! But I am grateful to have been lucky enough to get the experience in other trades!

I wouldn't under most circumstances (maybe if it was for a mate) offer to take on a huge amount of work that wasn't my trade though, for example, can you hang 10 doors, no I can't because yes I may churn out as good a job as a carpenter but I'll be slower so it wouldn't pay! But, if I was asked to fit one or two, then yeh, of course, or fit the skirts in a room I've plastered, yeh, no worries, and it'll be as good as any carpenter!

So I think we agree dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.