arched ceiling to be rendered

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

johniosaif

Private Member
This ceiling has the newton plastic or similar ,battens on top, and then building paper ,then eml, this is the way it has been done, the builder now wants a rendered s/c finish on this. I was thinking a coat of sand/cement/lime at 6/1/1 for first coat with fibres, leave for six days and put weaker coat without fibres. Sensible or not? I know 3 coats is often asked for...

Last edited:
i think that you will have to three coat this job, and as spunky says i would have the stronger mix with plenty of fibres of a good length.

Hi John

Why go, batten, paper, eml....... Batten and then apply Knauf Aquapanel Exterior - can be curved down to a 1 m rad - then basecoat and mesh and then S&C

Mark Ross posted something similar some time back.... I'll try and find the links....

Get in touch with me if you want some help to get more info - 07918766577

Either way - Good Luck!

Last edited:
If your going to base coat in lac ,put some mesh cloth in it as well ,then you can ocr over the top

This ceiling has the newton plastic or similar ,battens on top, and then building paper ,then eml, this is the way it has been done, the builder now wants a rendered s/c finish on this. I was thinking a coat of sand/cement/lime at 6/1/1 for first coat with fibres, leave for six days and put weaker coat without fibres. Sensible or not? I know 3 coats is often asked for...
Preferences

done one this time last year for a famous actress,must of been at least 30ft long x 12ft wide and I used 2no coats of hardwall and set, looked the dogs swingers.

I think its sand and cement that they prefer, small arches, think they like the rendered finish as opposed to skim, though that may change, notting hill, london job..

Last edited:
I think its sand and cement that they prefer, small arches, think they like the rendered finish as opposed to skim, though that may change, notting hill, london job..
Preferences

whats the crack with the preferences bit at the bottom of ya posts John??

Hi John

Give me a call and I can talk you through the various render basecoat options........

It is the LAC that Weber have tested and approved onto Knauf Aquapanel Exterior. I think that RendAid is too brittle for use onto a board, especially over large areas - you will need to check with Weber.

Gibbo's comments ref Parex Maite and K Rend HPX is also correct (as well as others, from other various approved render system suppliers)

Hi John

Give me a call and I can talk you through the various render basecoat options........

It is the LAC that Weber have tested and approved onto Knauf Aquapanel Exterior. I think that RendAid is too brittle for use onto a board, especially over large areas - you will need to check with Weber.

Gibbo's comments ref Parex Maite and K Rend HPX is also correct (as well as others, from other various approved render system suppliers)
you took your time :RpS_unsure: starting to think i had advised wrong :RpS_blushing:

Last edited:
Sorry Keith LOL

Not on here all the time............ (although the mrs things I am.....)

search the weber page for their MT system.........

sorry - you cannot use Aquapanel Exterior behind insulated systems that need the mechanical fixings into the board.

Parex have their insulated system that is bonded only onto a board (check with the Parex guys with regards to spec for building heights and other restrictions) - this bonded only system can be applied onto Aquapanel Exterior.

Last edited:
sorry - you cannot use Aquapanel Exterior behind insulated systems that need the mechanical fixings into the board.

Parex have their insulated system that is bonded only onto a board (check with the Parex guys with regards to spec for building heights and other restrictions) - thic can be applied onto Aquapanel Exterior.
I was not thinking using weber therm as a ewi ,just did not know if i can put it straight on your boards ,as i have a job that has paint on the walls ,and did not want to rendaid as it is a large area

i thought that the arch / dome was all ready built ,with battens ,eml. and that you had a spec to render in sand and cement ?

Rws why can't you mechanically fix into aquaboard ?

Hi Spunky

Aquapanel Exterior is a 100% cement and does not have any fillers in it - this makes it ideally suited for directly applied render. But the fillers are what are needed in the board to give it pull out strength (this is the load needed to pull out a fixing when applied into / through the board)

There is a universal minimum pull out load figure for EWI fixings in the UK and Aquapanel Exterior does not achieve this pull out load.....

i thought that the arch / dome was all ready built ,with battens ,eml. and that you had a spec to render in sand and cement ?

Sorry Malc.......... just offering an option.......

If all the battens, paper and eml is up, then just get on with it......

Status
Not open for further replies.