Ar*eoles who think they can pay when they like

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spudd

Just reskimmed hall stairs and landing.quoted £740 customer says £500.no says i thats the price.then says £600 he will supply.starts mid week leave off friday back monday to find 2 new windows so extra work.finished tuesday no mention of payment so i asks for it, pop it round later.saturday still no sign so i give him a call.hold on he says will ask wife if we have any money in the house.comes back with got half of it if you need it. replies with i need all of it cant tell merchants and morrisons i will pay when you pay.goes to collect hands me £300 as half seems to think the 2 windows are a mates thing.will give you a call he says when i got the rest.if you cant afford it dont have it done.

You need to discuss payment before you start the job, tell them you want paying in full as soon as you have finished. Don't just quote the job, get it and do it, arrange payment before hand too. You need to be more firm or this will happen time and time again.

When they start off trying to knock you down in the 1st place mate it should start the alarm bells ringing, even though things are tough at the moment. Last time some cock tried to do it to me I walked off with him shouting that if I didn't want the work etc. Cheeky git phoned me up 3 weeks later wanting me to quote for some other work and put right what the other "person" had done. Arranged to meet him 4 times and never went back. Got to say it was nice to get even for once even though it was wrong.

Just reskimmed hall stairs and landing.quoted £740 customer says £500.no says i thats the price.then says £600 he will supply.starts mid week leave off friday back monday to find 2 new windows so extra work.finished tuesday no mention of payment so i asks for it, pop it round later.saturday still no sign so i give him a call.hold on he says will ask wife if we have any money in the house.comes back with got half of it if you need it. replies with i need all of it cant tell merchants and morrisons i will pay when you pay.goes to collect hands me £300 as half seems to think the 2 windows are a mates thing.will give you a call he says when i got the rest.if you cant afford it dont have it done.

If you accept that then he will NEVER pay you. He has already made his mind up that you are too soft to deal with him. Ring him NOW, or knock on his door if you're close enough and tell him that you want YOUR money and are not in a position to give credit. Have you given him an invoice? If not do so NOW and make sure it says 'payment due on completion' with the date marked on it. Did he give you cash? If so and you need to take him to court invoice him for the FULL amount, he'll **** his pants :RpS_thumbup:

Have done work for him twice before no prob.he was also given a written quote. my quotes and invoices state payment in full upon completion unless agreed previously,all materials remain the property of.he had an invoice. i think he thinks we are pals and his professional body builder son intimidates me, he doesnt i kicked his ass arm wrestling.he all steroids and no strength.i will get paid its just fookin annoying.i have been to one customers house and removed the cornice i fitted until he paid me.once he paid he asked me to re fit cornice. i gave him i price, i have already paid once was his reply,yes and i already fitted once. he paid again up front.

Have done work for him twice before no prob.he was also given a written quote. my quotes and invoices state payment in full upon completion unless agreed previously,all materials remain the property of.he had an invoice. i think he thinks we are pals and his professional body builder son intimidates me, he doesnt i kicked his ass arm wrestling.he all steroids and no strength.i will get paid its just fookin annoying.i have been to one customers house and removed the cornice i fitted until he paid me.once he paid he asked me to re fit cornice. i gave him i price, i have already paid once was his reply,yes and i already fitted once. he paid again up front.

honest?? he had you back to fit some more? :RpS_lol:

did you give him a written quotation, i have started doing domestic work only and every customer gets a written quote with a list of terms and conditions.

ill give you a few examples, but you need to do this and taylor them to your own needs.

*All wallpaper must be removed before any plastering can be started, any wallpaper left on that is removed by MAC Plastering will be charged to the customer at a rate of £15.00 per hour

*Access to water and electricity is needed at all times

*Furniture must be removed from the areas that are being worked in, safe access to the work area is needed at all times.

*Any damage to fresh/new plaster caused by public/other tradesmen is not the responsibility of MAC Plastering and if repaired, an additional charge will be made.

*Any additional work you require will need to be quoted for seperatley.

Payment terms -

*Full payment will be due on completion of the works carried out above, once myself & the customer/client has checked the work and is satisfied that the standard of work is to a high level.

*The price quoted is non-negotiable.

*By agreeing to use MAC Plastering for the works quoted, you are agreeing to pay the full amount quoted above.

not sure if it would stand up in court, but it helps as everyone is on the same page and knows the crack before any work starts.

Sound that like mac , think a mite be changing my quotes . . . I havnt had a real problem with no payers to be honest thou

did you give him a written quotation, i have started doing domestic work only and every customer gets a written quote with a list of terms and conditions.

ill give you a few examples, but you need to do this and taylor them to your own needs.

*All wallpaper must be removed before any plastering can be started, any wallpaper left on that is removed by MAC Plastering will be charged to the customer at a rate of £15.00 per hour

*Furniture must be removed from the areas that are being worked in, safe access to the work area is needed at all times.

*Any damage to fresh/new plaster caused by public/other tradesmen is not the responsibility of MAC Plastering and if repaired, an additional charge will be made.

Payment terms -

*Full payment will be due on completion of the works carried out above, once myself & the customer/client has checked the work and is satisfied that the standard of work is to a high level.

*By agreeing to use MAC Plastering for the works quoted, you are agreeing to pay the full amount quoted above.

not sure if it would stand up in court, but it helps as everyone is on the same page and knows the crack before any work starts.

I like that, it covers most of the annoying situations you encounter doing domestics.

Lol, reminds me of a job i did with an upstairs bathroom and downstairs washroom, long story short, the customer was a copper and his son was as wide as he was tall, a problem occurred in the kitchen weeks after i had finished and the coper come to see me with a big big bill ???????? I laughed in his face and said theres proper ways to deal with things and this certainly wasn't it, afterall had he forgot i did the bathrooms not the kitchen pmsl. He went , same day his son come, i'm not small i'm 6' and 20stone, mouthing off, one grip of the throat and slam up the wall made him come to a very quick decision.....his muscles don't scare lol. Fxxxxin customers i hate em, lets have a rogue customers or cowboy customers programme lol.

Payment terms -

Pretty much exactly the same as mine

Lol, reminds me of a job i did with an upstairs bathroom and downstairs washroom, long story short, the customer was a copper and his son was as wide as he was tall, a problem occurred in the kitchen weeks after i had finished and the coper come to see me with a big big bill ???????? I laughed in his face and said theres proper ways to deal with things and this certainly wasn't it, afterall had he forgot i did the bathrooms not the kitchen pmsl. He went , same day his son come, i'm not small i'm 6' and 20stone, mouthing off, one grip of the throat and slam up the wall made him come to a very quick decision.....his muscles don't scare lol. Fxxxxin customers i hate em, lets have a rogue customers or cowboy customers programme lol.

pmsl thats the way to deal with the bullies,

2-shits.jpg yep :RpS_biggrin:

I do all my work on a written quotation with term and conditions. I send 2 copies and ask for a copy to be returned to me signed. Without a signed copy it is your word against theirs.

Always put a warranty to your work. if you don't and it fails prematurely the courts will favour the customer. A warranty gives off a cut off time and ends liability. If your warranty goes into years then it certainly wants writing up properly or they can demand that you re-new rather than make good.

Also you need to write in that they have a 14 day cooling period otherwise they could cancel your contract 5 minutes before you finish and you have no chance in court. It consumer law.

fook me rigs if someone gave me a quote like that for £300 i wouldnt let him near the door

cos your Jase the Ace...................you never drop and finish........................ever..........................thats why your Ace and also my hero.....................:RpS_wub:

ive never said i dnt drop finish i said i dnt cover switches and sockets in finish

Stop being modest Ace......................your still my hero.......................:RpS_wub:

fook me rigs if someone gave me a quote like that for £300 i wouldnt let him near the door

It can be off putting but on the other hand the customer has all the paper work to sue if I default but I also have all the paper work to sue. Some people see it as professional others might take it as offensive as it shows I don't trust them which I don't.

I do all my work on a written quotation with term and conditions. I send 2 copies and ask for a copy to be returned to me signed. Without a signed copy it is your word against theirs.

Always put a warranty to your work. if you don't and it fails prematurely the courts will favour the customer. A warranty gives off a cut off time and ends liability. If your warranty goes into years then it certainly wants writing up properly or they can demand that you re-new rather than make good.

Also you need to write in that they have a 14 day cooling period otherwise they could cancel your contract 5 minutes before you finish and you have no chance in court. It consumer law.

Agreed, get yourself some proper T's & C's drawn up (even buy a template if need be) and get a signed copy, non-refundable deposit etc and stop the cowboy customers.

My payment terms are 28 days to sub-contractors and I usually pay within about 7.

Might be worth all you guys chipping in a tenner each (or whatever amount) and having a set of professionally & legally binding T's & C's drawn up. Just have these printed on the back of your written quote with a statement that the quote is subject to the terms and conditions on the back and by accepting the quote, they accept the terms and condition and make sure you get a signed copy back.

I would leave out the 'standard of work to high level' your high standard maybe different to the customers high standard, and if this needs to be signed off before full payment, potential can of worms. Just warning anyone who plans to use these terms.

True, I think trading standards consider "You are entitled to expect that the work is carried out with reasonable care and skill"

So as long as your work is better than that, you'd be okay.

Mmmmmmmmmm gone a bit off track.anyhow he apologised for delay in paying. coughed up and added a bit for my inconvenience.

Just ordered a chip & pin machine for when customers "got to the bank 5 minutes too late" even though they know you've been there 2 weeks.
I fitted a kitchen for someone a few weeks ago they tried to pay half and said they'd give me the rest after I've fitted the bathroom (wasn't starting it until 2 weeks later) lol NO CHANCE!

Status
Not open for further replies.