Apprentice

Members online

jdowney

Hi I'm thinking of taking on my first apprentice. I've mostly been subcontracted by builders etc so never had a lad on any advice would be appreciated cheers

If you can find a grafter then go for it.
But in today's world good luck with that!

Easier said than done.
Get in touch with local collage and ask them if they've got any up to standard. They will most likely invite you in for a meeting and to watch the lads doing a bit.
Then it's a case of shutting your eyes and picking one as it's pot luck.
The majority want their arse wiping for them and have had their heads filled with s**t.

As above, but you'll be shocked how much time and effort you'll have to put in just for them to learn the simplest of tasks.
If you do find one that's ok,stick with it. There's few things that will give you more satisfaction when they complete a wall on their to a good standard

You invest a lot of time and effort which takes a lot of patience then when they get half decent? Some think they know it all and leave to become your competition. Finding a decent lad or lass willing to see an apprenticeship through to the end knowing they are on crap wages are very few and far between

Most important thing for me is that on the 1st morning when they get in the van tell them to put their mobile in the glove box and that is where it stays during working hours..... it can come out at dinner time then must return to the glove box....or you will never get them to do any thing..... my lad kept saying " i am just seeing what time it is " B#LLOCKS..... i will tell you when its dinner time and home time...

Most important thing for me is that on the 1st morning when they get in the van tell them to put their mobile in the glove box and that is where it stays during working hours..... it can come out at dinner time then must return to the glove box....or you will never get them to do any thing..... my lad kept saying " i am just seeing what time it is " B#LLOCKS..... i will tell you when its dinner time and home time...

yeah smart watch helps now as well :D

I get my messages through my watch so I can see who is calling and what not :D

I once left him on a job all day and when i was having an ale before tea i went on face book to see he had shared about 20 things during the working day.....

Keep plenty of tissues in the van......they cry a lot...
Learn to like waiting....they are often late....a lot
Remember what it was like to spread super creamy lovely plaster.....coz it'll be ages before you see any like that again....
Good luck

Went in local shop for a paper other day got talking to bloke behind counter he has paper boys and one he pays £45 a week for 27 papers a day the kids dad came in and said they was robbing his son and should pay him more said he is 13 and getting 180 a month but more importantly learning to get up and have responsibility yet his dad complaining it's poor money what chance have you got of finding a decent apprentice if that's how the parents behave,I remember my paper round 10er a week rain sun or snow my old man never gave me nothing so I had to do it I suppose there are kids out there who will do it but try finding one is almost another job in itself

ive seen a young one taking ages to come out of the garage in the morning checking every sweet in the shop twice....just to walk out the door and jump into a complete strangers van.

Why don't you take on a female like this bloke? They probably pat attention to detail and will work harder to prove themselves in what's viewed as a man's trade. Maybe they're a man and wife team like Hart to Hart? I wouldn't want to work with the missus all day. I look forward to getting out the house in the morning

I had a 20 year old kid helping me cove and it was pass me the scraper, pass me the sponge and so on but every time I had to ask him the same two questions it drove me mad, then I spent ten minutes shouting him to find him sat in the van telling me it's lunch time, I picked him up at 10.45 lol then asked me for extra for finishing at 6 and that was on his first and last day :)

I had a 20 year old kid helping me cove and it was pass me the scraper, pass me the sponge and so on but every time I had to ask him the same two questions it drove me mad, then I spent ten minutes shouting him to find him sat in the van telling me it's lunch time, I picked him up at 10.45 lol then asked me for extra for finishing at 6 and that was on his first and last day :)
And his last day..i like it....lol

Why don't you take on a female like this bloke? They probably pat attention to detail and will work harder to prove themselves in what's viewed as a man's trade. Maybe they're a man and wife team like Hart to Hart? I wouldn't want to work with the missus all day. I look forward to getting out the house in the morning

joking aside the chippy that helped on the later stages of our place worked with his wife and they made a great team and she was the cabinet maker by trade so had a good eye for detail...

The last few private jobs I have done for friends and family Jane has come and helped spin up and generally bead and scrim and she is probably the best labourer I have ever had as well...

Mind you she ran all the wiring round our place no bother either so she is not stupid either :D

I love it that you get wound up brings me joy

Would love to apprentice but caught up in the hamster wheel of my own work and too old. That said, I would gladly labour for a few days to a good spread for fuel if work was sporadic...but I'm guessing the last word would be 'off''!

Had a labourer mix up sand and cement for me today, 18 year old keen as mustard. Had him mixing up, cutting back render with a grinder and breaking it off. He was very clean in his work and was asking questions to learn.

Had a labourer mix up sand and cement for me today, 18 year old keen as mustard. Had him mixing up, cutting back render with a grinder and breaking it off. He was very clean in his work and was asking questions to learn.
Nice one, hope his mum doesn't mess it up for him by not charging his phone with the alarm ;)

I think the times have changed a lot though and we all remember when we was the young lad on site in a gang or for a one man band so when we get the young kids of today we can't get our heads round how lazy they are the attitude the way we have to repeat things to them grates us I wasn't a perfect apprentice but I knew my place and I knew I had to be 3 steps ahead of them I've had beads launched at me from scaffold after being lairy I've had floats thrown at me when I wasn't pulling my weight but I've also had the praise from them when I just got on with the job trouble is the parents say to these kids well that's a long day for that money or oh you shouldn't put up with that and kids believe they have rights we wanna teach them a trade and it will earn them a living for life but fail to see you gotta start at bottom

Lol @superspread always said to me when I was his apprentice new broom sweeps clean always had sayings that man some make sense some don't

I think the times have changed a lot though and we all remember when we was the young lad on site in a gang or for a one man band so when we get the young kids of today we can't get our heads round how lazy they are the attitude the way we have to repeat things to them grates us I wasn't a perfect apprentice but I knew my place and I knew I had to be 3 steps ahead of them I've had beads launched at me from scaffold after being lairy I've had floats thrown at me when I wasn't pulling my weight but I've also had the praise from them when I just got on with the job trouble is the parents say to these kids well that's a long day for that money or oh you shouldn't put up with that and kids believe they have rights we wanna teach them a trade and it will earn them a living for life but fail to see you gotta start at bottom
Mm

Similar to flynny I had someone help recently and he would forget what ide asked for when he got to van, every time he made a brew he asked how many sugars and constant complaing of being tired!
I said to him "Dad are you here to help or just hinder me?!" :endesacuerdo: