anyone want this job?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigsegs

went to look at a job today
hall stairs landing overskim, leave scabby artex ceilings...
woman had near perfect walls already, newish house, on render
brand new, PAINTED coving up
wants to keep the dado rail on, poxy little thing more like a 1" edging strip, fair enough
maybe 2 small blemishes on the whole lot
1 1/2 inch gap between two doors, wont let me remove the architrave
brand new carpet
wants me to plaster round the consumer unit/burglar alarm/rcd/doorbell - all within 6" of each other
she said 'Had a go at rubbing down the wall (bout 6" square) and OOOOOooo the MESS!!'
god, i mean, stand there with a hoover under the sander for less than an hour and these walls will be 100% perfect...
just what she was expectin from me i can only guess at...
ordinarily and easy 2 sets...
is it me? am i nuts for overquotin it and hopin she dont ring back??

I get a lot like this mate. Just do it and get the money!
If you tell her that her walls are fine to start with and that plastering does tend to be a dusty job, and she still wants you to do it, then go for it!
Of course you will need to do a better job than whats there already ;)
;D

well i would normally but the little bits like 1 1/2 inch wide between 2 doors and round the units are really gonna p me off and to be honest those are the bits shes gonna want perfect innit id rather go round with a sander but you cant tell people anything can you?? :-X

Do you do a lot of site work?
Coz i only do domestic and pretty much every job has these wee bits in them :mad:
But i either one coat them, or more often, just two coat them at the one time. If you know what i mean?
The small tools in my bucket are called 'doofers' ;D

I didn't mean that as a cheeky comment by the way! :-[
What i mean is that most site work is going over boards. But domestic work is sometimes a bit footery with wee bits like that.
Plus im drunk coz im not working tomorrow. :D

to be honest a job like that i just wouldnt bother ringing her back.
if she calls you back then give her a stupidly high price.

some people just dont understand :mad:

no offence taken thomas, maybe you had to be there... i just got the impression she thought plaster came on a roll or something, i mean why put new coving up and give it 2-3 coats of white and THEN get the plasterer in??? doesnt make sense to me... yes i can be tidy, but ive got to brush the edge up to the cove and its going to stain it a bit... the fiddly bits i could do with small tools but they take forever and it means another set just to do maybe a metre?? even then i cant get right behind the consumer unit etc... thats why people box em in innit??
I reckon she's the one wearin the trousers in that house otherwise i would have thought id be dealing with the husband and i reckon hes vtoed the idea and left her to find out for herself...no disrespect to any women out there, but you know the type... i reckon whoever does it will be in for a world of trouble...
looked at another one last night... hall stairs landing inc ceilings , woman on her own but shes havin all the skirtin boards off, architrave prior..
asked me to chase a cable in, board over a borrowed light, box a few pipes in, remove and refit rad, her joiner comin back to 2nd fix.....only too happy to do that job
still if youre anywhere near peterborough pm me and ill give you her number

nightmare job bigsegs you should've sold her a tub a' ready mix
hope you didn't burn too much deisel on your way over :D

Status
Not open for further replies.