Anyone got the SPEEDSKIM SF 1200mm Finishing Rule or Speedskim accessories to sell?

Members online

Sheepdisease

Hello there,

Just wanted to take the opportunity to explain that I am new to plastering and have a few projects in mind, I have been reading a number of books and websites to get a better idea before I start but any tips regarding applying plaster around a multi-fuel fireplace, putting cabling back into plaster as it was originally and filling after electricians have cut big holes in wall around new sockets would be appreciated.

That as an aside, does anyone have the SPEEDSKIM SF 1200mm Finishing Rule or Speedskim accessories to sell? I have read a number of you don't get on with these products and am hoping that I can give them a new home to save them cluttering up your garage/workshop.

Please let me know.

Thank you :)

You'd be best gettin practice finishin with your trowel 1st mate before tryin sumthin like a speedskim sf, been spreading 16 years + gt the 600mm sf + took me a few weeks get to grips with it. U be better gettin a 600mm st (blue blade) + practice flattening after each coat wth it.

I would master the trowel first as well... the speedskim is awesome but you need trowel craft to make it really work

Really appreciate your replies, thank you. I do plan on mastering the trowel first but really want the items I mentioned for afterwards.

Anyone selling?

How should I approach the tasks I mentioned?

There only cheap buddy so hardly gonna break the bank

start with the 600 and work up in size when the jobs dictate

that said I did try and get a second hand nela last month to no avail lol

ill get my coat

Hello all, thanks for your replies.

I know they are reasonably priced but I would have thought a second hand one would be cheaper and I know there are people out there who hate using Speedskim and have put it away never to be touched again (and I bet a few have even been thrown away), so I would prefer to get one second hand and make some savings even if the item is not going to break the bank in the first place.

Still hoping that someone has a SPEEDSKIM SF 1200mm Finishing Rule or Speedskim accessories they want rid of that I will gladly take off their hands.

Where is the best place to get wooden grounds from for keeping the thickness of plaster consistent and what thickness should they be?

I think by the sounds of it, you have little idea about our trade, and would be better off getting a plasterer in...

Don't need depth gauges use the exiting wall to work to and use your trowel as a straight edge if that makes sense

I should have explained that I have taken the wall back to brick so wooden grounds would ensure consistent depth. I did consider getting someone in but they quoted £390 to do part of a wall on the chimney breast. I also want to learn so this is a great opportunity.

I should have explained that I have taken the wall back to brick so wooden grounds would ensure consistent depth. I did consider getting someone in but they quoted £390 to do part of a wall on the chimney breast. I also want to learn so this is a great opportunity.

You should have got more than 1 quote. A recommendation if possible. Buying tools and materials yourself will end up costing you more than paying a tradesman and its highly unlikely your standard of work will match that of a skilled tradesman. You could always try using a plasterer off this forum.

As with all trades I have had a hard time finding anyone interested in doing the work, I have approached others to no avail.

In any case, I am happy to learn even if I have take take it off the walls and try again. Most of the tools are good for brickwork too which I need to do so I am not too bothered.

Doesn't anyone use wooden grounds every few feet to keep the base layer of plaster the correct thickness and level?

*timber grounds

Really I just need to fix 10mm plaster stop beads to the wall (at 3 foot or more interevals) using a small dabss of plaster. For the corners I need to use external angle beads. I presume that base coats of plaster should be 10mm and finish coat should be 3mm thick which is why beads can be bought in 3mm thickness for applying and dividing the finish coat?

Hi hi you can't teach yourself what you don't know if that makese sense

you need to learn from an experienced plaster on the job or go on a short course at least

As with all trades I have had a hard time finding anyone interested in doing the work, I have approached others to no avail.

In any case, I am happy to learn even if I have take take it off the walls and try again. Most of the tools are good for brickwork too which I need to do so I am not too bothered.

Doesn't anyone use wooden grounds every few feet to keep the base layer of plaster the correct thickness and level?
No need when you know the coo