Any thoughts/advice about the use of fibrelime?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebecca

Hello folks I'm new to this forum and new to plastering so any advice or tips would be really appreciated!

I have an 1890's terrace house which I bought last year. Downstairs surprise surpirse is damp, the majority on the external walls but small bit on an internal wall where a concrete floor meets another concrete floor (it does have a plastic membrane sheet beneath it). It had a DPC put in twice which has failed but had gypsum plaster and carlite on. I have chipped off to one metre all the damp plaster and have left it to dry out for six months, most people who are in know have said they didn't feel it's now drier than it was.

I am now about to start on sorting the downstairs out. I have read so much about lime based plaster and feel that this is probably the best way to go as the DPC has not worked before, and the plaster above one metre is the original lime. I have been advised to use fibrelime for the metre I have taken off as I would only need to put one coat of the stuff on and then to skim with gypsum the above the one metre as some of the original lime walls are uneven. I just wondered if anybody has any opinions or has had experience using this? I have never plastered in my life but thought I would give it a go and if I can't do it I will get somebody in to help!

Thank you so much in advance
Rebecca

Concrete floors need to be at least 50 mm lower than the finished plaster on the walls, gypsum plaster like carlite will never dry out, is the condition of the outside of your house upto scratch, any drainage issues,overflowing gutters,broken galleys etc,
ps I would hack off a min off 1.2 m high ,300 generally above highest sign of damp.you need the cause before a solution can be given

Hello folks I'm new to this forum and new to plastering so any advice or tips would be really appreciated!

I have an 1890's terrace house which I bought last year. Downstairs surprise surpirse is damp, the majority on the external walls but small bit on an internal wall where a concrete floor meets another concrete floor (it does have a plastic membrane sheet beneath it). It had a DPC put in twice which has failed but had gypsum plaster and carlite on. I have chipped off to one metre all the damp plaster and have left it to dry out for six months, most people who are in know have said they didn't feel it's now drier than it was.

I am now about to start on sorting the downstairs out. I have read so much about lime based plaster and feel that this is probably the best way to go as the DPC has not worked before, and the plaster above one metre is the original lime. I have been advised to use fibrelime for the metre I have taken off as I would only need to put one coat of the stuff on and then to skim with gypsum the above the one metre as some of the original lime walls are uneven. I just wondered if anybody has any opinions or has had experience using this? I have never plastered in my life but thought I would give it a go and if I can't do it I will get somebody in to help!

Thank you so much in advance
Rebecca
To be honest here we go again there is no quick fix if your looking at long term where many people buying houses these days need to start thinking long term .Any way you would be be better off removing the floors digging out and wooden floor with 500mm void under it .I no that sound a lot of wok but it's worth it and johns right check ground levels drains etc

Hi, the concrete floor is you main issue with the DPC membrane underneath. As the moisture comes up under the floor this hits the membrane whihch then directs it towards your walls. Ideally for the long term fix would be to take up your floor and relay using a Limecrete floor. This is both insulating and breathable meaning that most of the damp problems should be cured, not a guarantee as this would be impossible to say. As for the walls and being that you are not a plasterer I would use a LimeHemp plaster. This can be put on in one coat similar to the fibrelime but is alot more user friendly. The trouble with Lime if you are not used to using it is controlling suction and preventing drying while the Lime cures. With the hemplime you do not have to tend to this as much as it retains alot of water within the mortar whichs aids the curing. As with all Limes do not use any gypsum plaster over or in the mix. This would defeat the idea of using the Lime in the first place for the breathabilty. Instead you can either skim with a fine hemp plaster or a normal lime finishing plaster. 2/1 mix is quite standard but you can use a 3/2 mix if you are trying to get a finish similar to multi finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.