Any ideas on this damp issue?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skimble

image.jpg image.jpg
Hey guys, strange damp problem I went to see today, hoping you guys have some ideas to the cause. There's 2 patches around the lintel so my first thought was fault with the cavity tray(prob lead by age of the house). However as you can see in the first picture a patch has also appeared at ceiling point, way above the lintel. So something must be breaching the cavity. The lady had cavity wall insulation put in seven years, I was wondering if it may have clogged up above the lintel and cold bridges the cavity?

I've told her I will have to charge an investigation fee and quote after inspection but hoping to get some ideas before.

Check obvious outside signs .... pointing on or around the lintel and also if theres a widow directly above get some ladders out and check the pointing and sealent on windows etc

Had issue at my own house with something similar .... turned out water was tracking in on the pointing on the upstairs window and had patches like that in my living room ....

Pointing, guttering - especially if they are concrete gutters, leaking in the roof and coming down the trusses onto the wall plate.

Any of those three would be my guess.

Agree with the above especially the brick work as in my old house exactly the same happened, they had to renew the whole brickwork front elevation as it was all perished!!

Probably build up of morter droppings on the tray combined with the later injection of cavity insulation, there has been some major problems with injected cavity insulation regarding damp with companies having to remove it to alleviate the problem, try Googling it, it must be on there some where.

Any conclusion then?

Not yet pal, we've put in a quote for an investigation but the customers insurance company are refusing to commit until they have a full estimate. Catch 22! Just taken on a 4 week boarding and skimming job so not too bothered.

Status
Not open for further replies.