Any ex soldiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarv5116

As the post says any ex soldiers left the forces and done plastering?
How did you go about been plasterers? Short course? Labourers?trainee?

thanks jamie

The only way really bud is to get in with a spread labouring, possibly doing a college course for your C and G at the same time, or once you have spent some time working for/with the spread then go for a short course to access your ability and gain an NVQ level 2 which will be a must within the next couple of years.

there will be no such thing as a Time Served tradesman.

im sure someone else will be along to help further

Good luck!

As the post says any ex soldiers left the forces and done plastering?
How did you go about been plasterers? Short course? Labourers?trainee?

thanks jamie
hats off to you mate, think artisan and airborne on here, have done their stint :RpS_thumbup: they'll know where your at.

I am an ex soldier mate. I used the pitiful re settlement that i got towards and intensive 6 week course, I already had a spread lined up to work for when I started. I dont think I would have done it otherwise. It was a big finantial risk but I had a few quid in the bank from being away so much.
good luck to you mate, I am sure you can make it happen.

huge respect to the guys who served a friend of mine went to afgan and iraq when he returned he was never the same there is a very sinister edge to him now, still a nice fella but not the kid i grew up with

I am an ex soldier mate. I used the pitiful re settlement that i got towards and intensive 6 week course, I already had a spread lined up to work for when I started. I dont think I would have done it otherwise. It was a big finantial risk but I had a few quid in the bank from being away so much.
good luck to you mate, I am sure you can make it happen.

What do you call pitiful?

Im ex forces mate, but didn't do it for my resettlement course, i was taught by my old man as teenager. My pre release course i trained as a tree surgeon, but just went back to plastering as the over heads were massive.

If you really want to do it then go for it you'll have the drive to do well, my advice would be not to, don't waste your resettlement money on a plastering course, there are other trades out there that have the potential to earn more than being a spread, and carry less health risks, IMO

Although the money is reasonable, the first chance i get to do something else then im away.

Id be thinking more along the lines of Police or Fire, you'll be able to transfer your pension and at least have a retirement date with a decent pension.

All the best in what you do.

Jarv don't go into plastering its had the arse kicked out of it as a trade . Give one of the other a go like carpentry where you will be better treated and more thought of. Plasterers are the blacks of the building trade. Take Airborne's advise and go for one of the 999 services but good luck as they are hard to get into esp the police what with the government cuts etc. Its a tough world out there at the mo what ever you decide to do so good luck to you and i hope you find something what ever you decide.

Jarv I doubt it really matters if you're ex army or a dentist, these courses are an insight into plastering you still need to work alongside somebody for a few years to fully develop

Jarv these courses are an insight as has been said, you will still need to get on with someone, to to get up to speed get your rates up etc.

I think you will seriously regret using your resettlement money for a plastering course once your out doing it. Theres lots of lads got out with me that did the Nebosh course, none have struggled for money since.

Massive respect to all our boys and girls who have and who are still serving our country.you shouldn't want for anything again Imo.

couldnt have put it better :RpS_thumbup: my brother in law is an ex-marine and now runs a recruitment firm for ex-service men and women in the security sector, seems to be a big demand for it

I used my resettlement for my plastering quals ( "cant get a plasterer for love nor money") was the cry when i was leaving 2005) but i had a job to go to and i was plastering weekends and through out my leave periods..........but i had engineering quals from leaving school/army trade training to fall back on if need be. But as previously said police,fire/prison service etc would be the way to go..............what did you do in the forces??

everything changed since 2008, I used to give away 80/% of my work once, used to stop taking on jobs and let myself run out so that I could breathe and start again, used to do £250k work a yr with mostly just two guys one plastering, one labouring and the odd guy drafted in, not sure that I can find full time work now, I mostly do day works as prices have got too keen.I am hoping good times come again,best of luck, bit by bit you will get there...

There just seems to be know cry for anything at the minute.
sent cv to **** loads companies and different trades get nothing back lol
I don't know if its cause I'm to old or what.

Im ex forces mate, but didn't do it for my resettlement course, i was taught by my old man as teenager. My pre release course i trained as a tree surgeon, but just went back to plastering as the over heads were massive.

If you really want to do it then go for it you'll have the drive to do well, my advice would be not to, don't waste your resettlement money on a plastering course, there are other trades out there that have the potential to earn more than being a spread, and carry less health risks, IMO

Although the money is reasonable, the first chance i get to do something else then im away.

Id be thinking more along the lines of Police or Fire, you'll be able to transfer your pension and at least have a retirement date with a decent pension.

All the best in what you do.
As he says maybe BRANCH out int something else!
But seriously i think it is still a great trade to be involved in, try not to ever work on your own for too long.best of luck.

dont do it jarv, take the advice and go for police,fire service,paramedic but deffinately not this

Why don't you stop in mate as it looks like north Africa is going to get interesting.

It is the wrong time of year to be looking to be taken on. I sometimes got the same applicant probably send me a letter every 3-4 months apart. If I was thinking of taking anyone on I got back to them and they usually turned out ok.

Why don't you stop in mate as it looks like north Africa is going to get interesting.

Had 12 years of getting fukced about and absouletly scunnnered with it lol.
Pensions changed
I could go on and on about reasons all day why to get out lol
Only one good positive reason is its steady money and guarnteed every month.
Dont get me wrong I think the army does young lads the world of good. stands you in good stead, but one day you wake up or grow up and the brain wash and bullshtie dont cut it anymore.

had 12 years of getting fukced about and absouletly scunnnered with it lol.
Pensions changed
i could go on and on about reasons all day why to get out lol
only one good positive reason is its steady money and guarnteed every month.
Dont get me wrong i think the army does young lads the world of good. Stands you in good stead, but one day you wake up or grow up and the brain wash and bullshtie dont cut it anymore.
and you think the building trade is going to be different.

Had 12 years of getting fukced about and absouletly scunnnered with it lol.
Pensions changed
I could go on and on about reasons all day why to get out lol
Only one good positive reason is its steady money and guarnteed every month.
Dont get me wrong I think the army does young lads the world of good. stands you in good stead, but one day you wake up or grow up and the brain wash and bullshtie dont cut it anymore.

what was your trade in the army

Status
Not open for further replies.